Solved SSD

Hi
Freebsd 12, 64 bit, a new install on a new disk.
All works fine, but after installation, I asked if I need to deploy special configuration for my SSD disk.
Under Linux, with the lastest version, there is no more necessary to do a specific configuration for the SSD but I don't know for FreeBSD 12.
Any ideas are welcome ;). Thanks

You have nothing to do, you just need, for an UFS filesystem, enable trim if not already done, see tunefs(8) (-p to check this and -t to enable it if it is not the case).

Attempted to install amd64 to a SSD last week, after building/installing 12-Stable the system kept rebooting while trying to build various ports. Unfortuantely no error messages, everytime I stepped out of the room for a minute I'd return to discover it had rebooted and entire ports that pkg said were installed were not as in things that had been 'written' to the SSD several seconds or even minutes earlier had disappeared when the system crashed. Made everything random and unworkable until I returned to the old drive. -
motherboard: American Megatrends/Gigabyte Technology/AB350-Gaming 3-CF
processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
SSD: WD Green 240GB 2.5" SATA III 3D NAND SSD WDS240G2G0A

I suspect that's your SSD that's somewhat dodgy.

Code:
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     SandForce Driven SSDs
Device Model:     KINGSTON SV300S37A60G
Serial Number:    XXXXXXX
LU WWN Device Id: X XXXXX
Firmware Version: 505ABBF1
User Capacity:    60,022,480,896 bytes [60.0 GB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Rotation Rate:    Solid State Device
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS, ACS-2 T13/2015-D revision 3
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Thu Mar 28 13:44:47 2019 CET
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled
Note the power-on hours:
Code:
  9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032   047   047   000    Old_age   Always       -       46790h+40m+04.290s
{snip}
241 Lifetime_Writes_GiB     0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       12534
242 Lifetime_Reads_GiB      0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       53

... it had rebooted
... and entire ports ... that had been 'written' ... had disappeared
... when the system crashed.
Does your motherboard quickly interrupt power when it reboots? Many motherboards do that with ATX-style power supplies, where the motherboard controls the power supply. My small server motherboard at home does that, but it it qualitatively different from your huge high-power AMD motherboard (I have a 35W computer at home). This causes the disks to be power cycled for a fraction of a second during a reboot.

And it is a known problem with some low-quality SSDs and special enterprise-use models that they suffer problems when power is cut quickly after a write. The details of the "problems" are complex, since SSDs are internally complicated beasts with lots of metadata and asynchronous writing. But if this occurred on a recent and name-brand SSD (you have a Western Digital model), I would be very surprised; the big manufacturers tend to have very good quality control on their firmware, to prevent such nonsense. That leaves the theory that your SSD is write-buffering too aggressively.

Here is something you might want to check: Does your SSD have up-to-date firmware? And is it configured correctly for your installation (which probably means default parameter settings)? Did you buy the SSD through a sales channel that is intended for consumer use, in non-redundant and non-power-protected installations? The reason I ask is this: SSDs and spinning disks can be configured to be more efficient and faster, in situations where (a) power delivery is virtually guaranteed (battery-backed up redundant power supplies), and (b) loss of recently written data does not matter, because the overall system guarantees that such data also exists in other places. If you obtained a used or discounts SSD that is configured for such an application, it will not be safe to use in a single-disk system. A check of firmware and resetting to factory default config would fix this.

Back