ZFS SSD replacing - suggestions?

Dear All,
one of my SSD disks (the older one) is almost reaching its end of life, I need to replace it, I was looking for some hints to make this faster and bullet proof as much as possible...

The disk (ada01) is a ZFS striped disk to ada02, the boot and efi are on ada03 which is also where the Linux backup partition lies.

So far the easiest way that comes up on my mind is to DD the older disk to the newer one all the night long, it won't take too much time eventually are only 250GB...

The other solution I thought might be to use ZFS replication which I never used and I am not sure if this work on striped disks, for what I understood ZFS works for data set and not for the whole disk...

Also my FreeBSD installation is encrypted with GELI... Looks like there aren't other many alternatives... Maybe "dump"... Actually I am not very good at backup data and files... 😖

Thanks! 🙏

Not unfortunately I can't, it is a laptop with three sata ports all of them busy... ☹️
I did zpool attach by replacing the old drive into an external SATA enclosure, booting of it, dump | restore of the UFS filesystems, adjust fstab for UFS filesystems, and reboot. After reboot, zpool attach, wait, reboot, and zpool detach. Reboot again and done.

If you have the right USB3 port, you can get a USB3 to SATA converter.
With the extra SATA capacity you would have a multitude of options.
However, I'd review the SSD sizes, layout, and backup scheme before setting any strategy.
I see that cy@ has also suggested the use of external media as I was composing this.

Back