ZFS Specify keyfile for zfs dataset with encryption via rc.conf

Hello, this is actually my first post here and I may or may not be in the right sub-forum.

Is there a way to specify keyfiles for encrypted datasets in rc.conf just like I specify geli devices, so they get automounted eventually?

If you want ZFS native encrypted data sets mounted automatically on system boot there isn't a service which comes with the base system to enable in rc.conf.

Such a startup script should on system boot, after ZFS root is mounted, load the key file(s), mount the encrypted data set(s), and on shutdown, reboot umount them and unload the key(s).

Try the rc(8) script down below. I'm sure there is a better way to do it, but it does the job (I took /etc/rc.d/zfs as draft).

Assuming the encrypted data set was created like:
Code:
# openssl rand -hex 32 > /root/keyfile

# zfs create -o encryption=on -o keyformat=hex -o keylocation=file:///root/keyfile \
-o mountpoint=/encrypted pool/encrypted

zfsenc
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
#

# PROVIDE:      zfsenc
# REQUIRE:      zfs

. /etc/rc.subr

name="zfsenc"
desc="Mount automatically encrypted data sets"
rcvar="zfsenc_enable"
start_cmd="zfsenc_start"
stop_cmd="zfsenc_stop"

: ${zfsenc_enable:="NO"}

zfsenc_start()
{
        zfs load-key -L file:///root/keyfile pool/encrypted
        zfs mount pool/encrypted
}

zfsenc_stop()
{
        zfs umount -u pool/encrypted
}

load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

Copy and modify script to your needs, i.e. replace 'encrypted' with name of choice. If there are more encrypted data sets, those can be listed under zfsenc_start and *_stop.

Copy script to location, change permissions, include service to rc.conf, start service:
Code:
# cp zfsenc /etc/rc.d
# chmod 555 /etc/rc.d/zfsenc
# sysrc zfsenc_enable=YES
# service zfsenc start

Check if it's working, put some files in /encrypted:
Code:
# cp <some files> /encrypted
# ls /encrypted
<some files>
# service zfsenc stop
# ls /encrypted
#

Take a note somewhere about the made modification to the system, preferable outside the system. It's always best to track such modifications in case of strange behavior during the boot process, not evident immediate.

Last edited:
Back