Sound lags when using console.

Hello,

there's a lingering issue with music playback when using console. The sound gaps occuring whenever I switch between ttys. The lags exacerbates if I set up SC in hi-res VESA modes and there's a lot of text output in ttyv (i.e. make is running).
I tried various players on various hardware, the problem seems to be rather old.

Any advices?

The screen didn't help. :\
Btw a friend of mine experienced the same troubles on his hardware, so I think it's not just me. I couldn't google out any complains on this trouble.

The same problem on most vidcontrol modes of text and graphics:( pls help. Screen & tmux - similar behavior

I've had the same problem. The audio is OK as long as the active tty is the one with the player, otherwise it's interrupted by screen output to the other tty.

No similar problem when switching between different desktops in X. But if I remember correctly, switching to a console will also cause interference with audio playing in an X app.

This is on an Intel Atom D510MO, using the Atom's built-in audio and the USB audio driver for output. I've seen the problem with both FreeBSD 7.x and 8.0.

Also it looks like slow/legacy hardware tends to behave worse regarding this problem, while the newer one (i.e. my laptop with celeron 1.6GHz CPU ) shows no sound lags in text modes, but alas, VESA modes of SC cause sound problems.

copypaiste said:
Also it looks like slow/legacy hardware tends to behave worse regarding this problem, while the newer one (i.e. my laptop with celeron 1.6GHz CPU ) shows no sound lags in text modes, but alas, VESA modes of SC cause sound problems.

How to fix it?:(

I too. But it's not real to use text mode on my notebook... So, remains the choice - use console or listen music:(

Yeah, I find sc without vesa totally unworkable, since vesa is apparently required to get a higher-resolution font that doesn't waste so much screen real estate. (If I'm wrong about that, I'd love to hear it.)

Back