Something positive.

I won't point them out directly as I know we wouldn't see anything positive in return for it. But more than I like to see on these and other forums like them, I consistently see people using there own negative experiences with FreeBSD to put it down as an OS. As a former sysadmin and website/group owner I know what it's like to run something, put all your heart into it and have people dump on it when things don't go 100% their way. I know how that feels. But yes, more than half the time, do know that it's their own administrative error, and they are so frustrated only because they are far more apt to jump to a forum and start a thread asking for help from people half the time they don't listen to and who aren't even local to the machine so naturally it takes some time.

Why they would not at least go to google first and try themselves rather than bounce back and forth in a thread clicking refresh on a webpage like a spammer on meth is beyond me. Moving to the point of this post, I just want to say I have been using FreeBSD since 4.1 and I would not have it any other way. Maybe it's because of my own experience gained from not giving up or retreating back down the experience ladder to linux but FreeBSD has been nothing but ROCK SOLID and in the 2% of the time it wasn't I want to admit it was usually me that b0rked it up. I want to thank all the developers, and the people who contribute HOURLY to make an OS as well as an incredible amount of documentation to go with it for FREE and for a community which unfortunately is going to have some people in it that not only seem to be illiterate but want all the latest features, (now.) yet don't offer any help, and are the first to complain.

Not to mention bother to actually submit a PR once their problem is actually resolved. It's just all about them. I guess the whole point of this is as a developer I bet your looking over this forum and others and sometimes things like this can bring your moral down. Well for the benefit I get out of this amazingly fast and stable OS here's me bringing you back up.

Thanks for the time you have given. Thanks for the time someone in your family had to put up with you sitting there for nights or days at a time coding, writing or debugging like a zombie. Thanks for the movies you have given up, or whatever it was you gave up. You know what it was, and I know it was something.

Thanks for everything. And for the whiners, I have two links. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributing/index.html I know you'll do your best. Make it better. http://www.google.com < A good start. And I also say FreeBSD is not for quitters. Have fun with RedHat. Thanks for playing, and that is all. ;) IF this doesn't belong in this area feel free to move it but I think a lot of people out there will benefit from reading it. There's just too little reward for all their hard work lately.

Code:
[root@daemon /]# uname -rs
FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT
[root@daemon /]#
And for the record I have been running -current now for two weeks with very few issues. None which google did not help me fix as well as you people after I had exhausted google.

I have been using FreeBSD since July 2009. I have been in IT for over ten years now but mainly on the Microsoft side of things. FreeBSD is THE best damn OS and piece of software I have EVER come across!! I only wish I had discovered it years ago. BSD and me just "click". I started to go off the Microsoft stuff about 3 years ago. I have tried Linux MANY times but it just didn't work for me (I found it too messy and frustrating).

I run FreeBSD 8.0 on an HP Desktop dc7100 with a single Pentium 4 2.8Ghz CPU, 1 GB RAM and two 80GB SATA hard drives. The performance is INCREDIBLE! I run Postfix, IMAP, MySQL, Apache, SSH (with two factor authentication using an OpenPGP card), Wordpress and a few other services. Its fast. Its responsive. It NEVER goes wrong (provided I don't change stuff I don't understand!). It almost never needs rebooting. I just know its going to be there and working when I need it.

Thank you to all involved with FreeBSD. Its the best damn piece of software I have ever had the priviledge of using and I really hope I can steer my career in a direction that involves FreeBSD!!!

Back