Some thoughts about FreeBSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, this thread is a bit on the flamy side, but FreeBSD doesn't really need any more market share. Sure it would be nice to see it at something like 5% of the total market, but really only if it's being engineered under similar philosophies as are currently in place. You start getting much larger than that and people start pressuring developers for things like a GUI installer. Neglecting to notice that sysinstall is a GUI, albeit somewhat aged.

I've rarely had problems with multimedia, the only thing I can think of is that the buffer isn't properly sized or the OP is trying to play DVDs without making sure that DMA is enabled and functioning properly.

Actually, sysinstall is a TUI (Text User Interface), not a GUI (Not very Graphical, is it?).

Problem is some people think ``shiny icons'' is the same as ``usability''.
It's not, FreeBSD sysinstall is a hell of a lot more usable than many of the graphical Linux installed that are out there.

I think all thoughts have been adequately expressed by now, which usually means the thread will gain entropy very quickly ;)

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back