Some programs cause gnome3 to crash

Hi, I installed Gnome3 last week, but can't get it to work properly. Launching some applications seem to cause segfaults in Gnome shell. The shell will crash, leaving any launched programs open without a wm. I have found 2 .core files. Running gdb on them returns

Code:
(gdb) core gnome-shell.core
Core was generated by 'gnome-shell'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0 0x0000000805613b07 in ?? ()

and
Code:
(gdb) core gnome-session-faile.core
Core was generated by 'gnome-session-faile'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0 0x0000000800d57a6a in ?? ()

Some programs that cause crash include nvidia-settings, firefox, gnome-terminal and xterm. Other programs don't seem to cause any problems. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What version of FreeBSD? And did you build from ports or did you use packages?

Thank you for responding. I used packages, and the version is FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p3.

Last edited:
Upon further investigation, iI have found several instances of

Code:
May 29 18:11:53 localhost dbus[589]: [system] Rejected send message, 2 matched
rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.87" (uid=1000 pid=983 comm="/usr/local/bi
n/gnome-shell ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" err
or name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.1" (uid=0 pid=615 comm="/u
sr/local/sbin/console-kit-daemon --no-daemon ")

in /var/log/messages. I do not know if it is related.

If you're on the, default, quarterly branch you might want to try latest instead. I'm not sure if it'll help but at least you'll get the latest packages for everything.

Pardon my ignorance, but are you suggesting that I upgrade to 11.0-CURRENT? Or is there some latest branch that I don't know about?

Don't edit /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf, it will get overwritten the next time you update. Instead create a /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf and set the URL there. It will overrule whatever is in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf.

I have now updated to the latest packages, and things are more stable, but not perfect. No applications will instantly cause segfaults in gnome anymore, but Instead gnome shell will occasionally crash during normal usage. I do not know what causes these crashes.

Back