Some books/materials for getting started with FreeBSD

I have installed FreeBSD in VirtualBox, it just copied the kernel, base, lib and does some configs
Is there any book that write about command line (tools and script) using in FreeBSD
And a book that provide much knowledge helping me for configuring tasks.
And then how can I proceed to programming in userland and in kernel.

Our handbook is the documentation.

If you have questions about a specific command use the built in manual.

man man
So this runs the man command showing the manual for man.

Look at
That is a post from 2009. Whilst it looks comprehensive, I'd expect a substantial number of additions from the last 14 years.

Absolute FreeBSD by Michael W Lucas. May or may not be in print, some information may be out of date, but for the basics and "general information" it's still valid.
According to https://www.amazon.com/Absolute-FreeBSD-3rd-Complete-Guide/dp/1593278926

The paperback version is not available but you can get it for Kindle. Not sure if that means you need a Kindle device or some program capable of reading it. And if the latter, is such a program available on FreeBSD?

Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition is from 2018/2019 so the content is accurate.
The missing part is bhyve but the it was on purpose according to the author (early dev state).

The paperback version is not available but you can get it for Kindle. Not sure if that means you need a Kindle device or some program capable of reading it. And if the latter, is such a program available on FreeBSD?
IIRC when you buy the book from Michael W Lucas (or from No Starch Press) site it is available in ebook version pdf, mobi and epub.
If you search an ebook reader check out Kobo, it can 'almost' read the opensource epub format while Kindle use the mobi format, you know the format readable only by ... Kindle device.
textproc/kepubify is a tool to convert epub into kepub which is a format for the Kobo reader.
pdf and epub format can also be read from a laptop/pc.

Is there any book that write about command line (tools and script) using in FreeBSD
And a book that provide much knowledge helping me for configuring tasks.
And then how can I proceed to programming in userland and in kernel.

config: FreeBSD Handbook, Vermaden's website

using the command line: install misc/cheat -- it comes with a bunch of examples on most used commands.
man pages describe the workings of commands, misc/cheat gives and collects your own examples. otherwise just search the internet for examples. write them down in a notebook or collect them in misc/cheat.

tools: learn editors/vim or some other basic text editor

spirit: don't be afraid to break things, start with a non-production box or VM.

I learned Linux by breaking systems here at home, displays and printers out of order. Doesn't matter on non essential boxes, and accellerates your learning ;-)

If you search an ebook reader check out Kobo, it can 'almost' read the opensource epub format while Kindle use the mobi format, you know the format readable only by ... Kindle device.
This is not true. EPUB is actually first- (or second compared with azw3) class citizen in Kindle devices now, send it as attachment file in an email with the subject "Convert" works perfectly, I use it a lot. On the other hand, MOBI will no longer supported for Kindle devices by the end of 2023.
Anyway, both EPUB and MOBI files are readable by deskutils/calibre, which works on Windows, Linux and FreeBSD. And on Android phones, there are plenty of Apps to read them too.

But nevertheless, the links are updated. The post was last edited in April 2023.
I can attest to that: new requests for additions will be considered and granted when deemed appropriate. You'll have to decide if a certain article or book is relevant for you. From the links presented there, consider the date of publication (last version/edition where appropriate) and type of the information presented among the properties to make a first judgement.

For example, for a better understanding of the principles of ZFS (especially its intent, design and most fundamental properties) the original Sun article gives you a sound basis. Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System second edition contains probably the sole detailed description of ZFS' internal structures in one place (chapter 10), informed by the source (that is: Matthew Ahrens, consulted by Marshall Kirk McKusick). For practical guidance, as a ZFS user or administrator, great resources are the FreeBSD Handbook, Absolutely FreeBSD third edition, and the two ZFS books. As always, you could probably scrape together the same wisdom from all over the internet (including this forum!), but that will probably require a considerable amount of time combined with gained knowledge over time to properly judge the quality of the information being presented.

This is not true. EPUB is actually first- (or second compared with azw3) class citizen in Kindle devices now, send it as attachment file in an email with the subject "Convert" works perfectly
Thank you, I was not aware of this, apparently it's a new thing from 2022(?), that's good news for Kindle people.

MOBI will no longer supported for Kindle devices by the end of 2023.
So I imagine they will sell e-books as epub in 2024 ... can't wait to see what it is going to be.

To begin with FreeBSD, the best BOOK is still Annelise Anderson's ...
FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your Personal Computer
Second Edition, ISBN-10: 0971204519, ISBN-13: 9780971204515
This was released both in PDF and printed versions.

To go advanced, go for Michael W. Lucas' ...
Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD
Third Edition, ISBN-10: 1593278926, ISBN-13: 9781593278922
This was released in 2018 in print and multiple digital formats. Mind you, the 2nd Edition from 2007 is still also valuable!

For system development purposes, try Marshall Kirk McKusick, George V. Neville-Neil, Robert N.M. Watson
The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System
Second Edition, ISBN-10: 0321968972, ISBN-13: 9780321968975

Thanks
I see FreeBSD has many good resources for development oriented. But I want a approach from OS user.
I am a bit academic guy ! I appreciate materials of type cookbook or tutorial, but I want a get-go from learning tools in "base package" and using shell (command line). In future I will run FreeBSD on server and a embedded board for career.

Not specific to Freebsd:

Absolute FreeBSD by Michael W Lucas. May or may not be in print, some information may be out of date, but for the basics and "general information" it's still valid.
It is still in print. I have a recent copy and I found it to be practically indispensable.

In addition, the author's sense of humor is almost perfect. :)

Ken Gordon

Back