Solved [Solved] What about HP DL380G5?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of migrating my HP DL380G5 to FreeBSD 10.0. It has two CPUs of four cores and 16 GB RAM, and it has eight 72 GB disks. It's currently running Debian 6.

I think motherboard devices would be supported? Seems standard and works fine with Linux. Graphical card seems to be a VESA compatible Intel ES1000? I guess it is just OK?

I would use this machine as a "classical" workstation, to access other machines, to use some graphical applications, and sometimes some 2D or old games inside emulators, and sometime use some virtual machines maybe with qemu, as a print server and some other classical stuff. And as a postgresql test base manager. Maybe use LibreOffice and so on. I don"t think I need any "exotic" software.

I think all these kinds of software should be found in the ports tree?

About partitioning, ZFS should be as fast as classical FreeBSD-UFS?

Thanks.

Re: What about HP DL380G5?

Hi all,

Finaly I just made it this morning. So HP DL380 G5 is just running well with freebsd FreeBSD. Xorg is just ok using the generic intel driver or vesa (both are ok), the SAS disk bay is OK. ZFS seems quite fast. I will install softs from the ports tree during the end of the week, all I need seems to be present in the source tree.

That's cool. FreeBSD will stay on this machine for a while.

Back