Solved [SOLVED] Wanting a full reinstall of all packages (pkgng)

While the new package system is great, I still have some issues.

I installed ports-mgmt/pkgng latest version 1.2.6 on my 9.2 i386 system, managed to convert all the old ports that was installed to the new ports-mgmt/pkgng system.

After this I upgraded to FreeBSD 10.0 i386 using freebsd-update -r 10.0-RELEASE upgrade, so after the initial upgrade it tells me to reinstall all packages, alrighty, no problem with the new ports-mgmt/pkg tool. pkg upgrade was run, and lots of packages was reinstalled. But not all packages were reinstalled. Counting one of them as databases/mysql55-server and databases/mysql55-client, which complained about a glibc++ file missing (sorry I don't remember exactly which one). Reinstalling each of these packages one at a time pkg install -f mysql55-server did the trick.

Now to the question.
since I have > 200 packages installed, and I didn't note which ones got upgraded and which ones are needed, and pkg upgrade tells me all packages are good.
is there a force upgrade command that takes all packages ?
I'd like to do something similar to pkg install -f '*', but that just gives the output pkg: No packages matching '*' available in the repositories

Re: Wanting a full reinstall of all packages (pkgng)

Tomse said:
I installed ports-mgmt/pkgng latest version 1.2.6 on my 9.2 i386 system, managed to convert all the old ports that was installed to the new ports-mgmt/pkgng system.
Does this mean that you ran pkg2ng?

Tomse said:
Now to the question.
since I have > 200 packages installed, and I didn't note which ones got upgraded and which ones are needed, and pkg upgrade tells me all packages are good.
is there a force upgrade command that takes all packages ?
I'd like to do something similar to pkg install -f '*', but that just gives the output pkg: No packages matching '*' available in the repositories
pkg upgrade will upgrade all installed packages for which an update (newer version) is available
pkg upgrade -f will upgrade all installed packages for which an update (newer version) is available AND reinstall all installed packages that do not have an update (newer version) available

Re: Wanting a full reinstall of all packages (pkgng)

thanks.. it was the
pkg upgrade -f
I was looking for.

I was stuck/confused at the pkg install -f as that's the command to force a reinstall a single package.

• Thanks
Reactions: 0mp
Back