Solved [Solved] Troubles upgrading from 9.2 to 10

Hi all, I'm trying to update my FreeBSD 9.2 server to 10.0-STABLE, but during the update freebsd-update fails to extract the new kernel because the space in /boot was finished. How can I force to download the new kernel again? Actually, I have kernel.old and kernel, in kernel there are the following files: http://pastebin.com/vnk13jBN

I'm sure that I am missing some files. I still do not reboot the server.

Re: Troubles upgrading from 9.2 to 10

I just compiled a generic kernel from /usr/src using:

Code:
# cd /usr/src
# env DESTDIR=/boot/GENERIC make kernel __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null SRCCONF=/dev/null

And comparing the files, I miss the following files in /boot/kernel:

Code:
radeonkms.ko.symbols
urtwn-rtl8192cfwT.ko
urtwn-rtl8192cfwT.ko.symbols
urtwn-rtl8192cfwU.ko
urtwn-rtl8192cfwU.ko.symbols
vmm.ko
vmm.ko.symbols

Under most circumstances, you can recover from a failed or interrupted binary upgrade by using freebsd-update rollback. It's not clear to me how you populated /usr/src and whether or not it is a complete working copy, so I can't comment on your missing kernel modules. Care to share that with us?

You can free up some space if you remove the kernel's symbol files. These tend to take up a lot of room. If you don't do any kernel debugging you're not going to need them. This will remove them and free some space: find /boot -name '*.symbols' -delete

Also note that you can use freebsd-update to update to a RELEASE version only. If you want 10.0-STABLE you're going to have to build world from source.

trh411 said:
Under most circumstances, you can recover from a failed or interrupted binary upgrade by using freebsd-update rollback. It's not clear to me how you populated /usr/src and whether or not it is a complete working copy, so I can't comment on your missing kernel modules. Care to share that with us?

I don't remember when I downloaded the source but after freebsd-update -r 10.0-RELEASE upgrade it looks like /usr/src has been updated:
Code:
# more README 
This is the top level of the FreeBSD source directory.  This file
was last revised on:
$FreeBSD: release/10.0.0/README 215293 2010-11-14 11:32:56Z joel $

Maybe I used svn to download it when I was with FreeBSD 9.1.

Now I'm trying to do a rollback.

SirDice said:
You can free up some space if you remove the kernel's symbol files. These tend to take up a lot of room. If you don't do any kernel debugging you're not going to need them. This will remove them and free some space: find /boot -name '*.symbols' -delete

Also note that you can use freebsd-update to update to a RELEASE version only. If you want 10.0-STABLE you're going to have to build world from source.
Isn't freebsd-update -r 10.0-RELEASE upgrade enough to upgrade it?

I missed the fact that you are trying to update your system to FreeBSD-10.0-STABLE the first time around. As @SirDice stated, you can only do this by building from sources. freebsd-update cannot be used to upgrade to a -STABLE version of FreeBSD.

If you want to upgrade your system to FreeBSD-10.0-STABLE, you should delete everything in /usr/src and then pull down a new working copy of the source from the stable/10 branch using a command like: svn checkout [url=https://svn0.us-east.FreeBSD.org/base/stable/10]https://svn0.us-east.FreeBSD.org/base/stable/10[/url] /usr/src. You can also use svnlite for this if you do not have the full-blown devel/subversion installed.

Once you have the sources, you can rebuild your system per the instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook.

Last edited by a moderator:

Then the upgrade to 10.0-RELEASE isn't 10.0-STABLE?

RedFoxy said:
than the upgrade to 10.0-RELEASE isn't 10.0-STABLE?

No, 10-STABLE (or 10.0-STABLE) is the development branch (think of it as work in progress) for the next release in the 10.X line of FreeBSD which will be 10.1.

RedFoxy said:
than the upgrade to 10.0-RELEASE isn't 10.0-STABLE?
No, FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE and FreeBSD-10.0-STABLE are two different versions. FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE is considered a release branch, while FreeBSD-STABLE is considered a development branch. You might want to take a look at: Tracking a Development Branch.

EDIT: I see @kpa beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok, I'm tring to build form source but I have a problem. I followed http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html and after I removed /usr/obj I deleted /usr/src I downloaded the latest -STABLE with svn checkout [url=https://svn0.eu.FreeBSD.org/base/stable/10]https://svn0.eu.FreeBSD.org/base/stable/10[/url] /usr/src, but when I do make buildworld it fails with errors:
Code:
/usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/SourceManager.cpp:1100:10: fatal error: 'emmintrin.h' file not found
#include <emmintrin.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
mkdep: compile failed
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/clang
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src

This is my /etc/make.conf:
Code:
WITH_PKGNG=yes
DEFAULT_VERSIONS=ruby=1.9
PERL_VERSION=5.14.4

Code:
# find /usr/src -name 'emmintrin.h'
/usr/src/contrib/gcc/config/i386/emmintrin.h
/usr/src/contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Headers/emmintrin.h

I'm looking for a solution but I don't find anything useful.

Please provide the output of: svn info /usr/src. You do not have to be in the /usr/src directory to run this command. Also, you ran make buildworld from /usr/src, right? This might seem like an obvious question, but I just want to make sure we aren't overlooking something obvious here, so please bear with me.

trh411 said:
Please provide the output of: svn info /usr/src. You do not have to be in the /usr/src directory to run this command. Also, you ran make buildworld from /usr/src, right? This might seem like an obvious question, but I just want to make sure we aren't overlooking something obvious here, so please bear with me.

Yes I ran it from /usr/src :) I use freebsd FreeBSD a lot of the time, just sometimes I lose the way :p

Code:
# svn info /usr/src
Path: /usr/src
Working Copy Root Path: /usr/src
URL: https://svn0.eu.freebsd.org/base/stable/10
Relative URL: ^/stable/10
Repository Root: https://svn0.eu.freebsd.org/base
Repository UUID: ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
Revision: 261672
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: dim
Last Changed Rev: 261644
Last Changed Date: 2014-02-09 01:34:21 +0100 (Sun, 09 Feb 2014)

All of that looks good. I've run a couple dozen make buildworld and have never had a problem. I need to think about what might be going wrong here. As far as I can tell you have done all the necessary preparatory steps in the correct order. I'm going to do some research to see if I can get some clues.

EDIT: One more thought: please provide the contents of your /etc/make.conf file. Thanks.

EDIT 2: You are not running devel/ccache are you?

trh411 said:
All of that looks good. I've run a couple dozen make buildworld and have never had a problem. I need to think about what might be going wrong here. As far as I can tell you have done all the necessary preparatory steps in the correct order. I'm going to do some research to see if I can get some clues.

EDIT: One more thought ... please provide the contents of your /etc/make.conf file. Thanks.

Already done:
Code:
WITH_PKGNG=yes
DEFAULT_VERSIONS=ruby=1.9
PERL_VERSION=5.14.4

Okay, I'm going to ask that you follow my blueprint for upgrading from source. In effect we'll be starting from scratch and will ensure a clean starting point. Do all the following as the 'root' user:
Code:
# cd /usr/src
# rm -R *
# rm -R .svn
# svn co https://svn0.eu.FreeBSD.org/base/stable/10 /usr/src
# cd /usr/obj
# rm -R *
# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
Hopefully this will yield a good make buildworld run.

I already do it more than once, but I want to try it again for you:
Code:
root@web1:~# cd /usr/src
root@web1:/usr/src# rm -Rf *
ls root@web1:/usr/src# ls -la
total 6
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  1024 Feb 10 01:23 .
drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel   512 Feb  9 20:41 ..
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel   512 Feb  9 20:45 .svn
root@web1:/usr/src# rm -Rf .svn
root@web1:/usr/src# svn co https://svn0.eu.FreeBSD.org/base/stable/10 /usr/src

... List of files ...

A    games/pom/pom.6
 U   .
Checked out revision 261702.
root@web1:/usr/src# cd /usr/obj
root@web1:/usr/obj# rm -Rf *
root@web1:/usr/obj# cd /usr/src
root@web1:/usr/src# make buildworld

... A lot of lines ...

gbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/LangOptions.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/Module.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/ObjCRuntime.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/OpenMPKinds.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/OperatorPrecedence.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/SourceLocation.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/SourceManager.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/TargetInfo.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/Targets.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/TokenKinds.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/Version.cpp /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/VersionTuple.cpp
/usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/clang/lib/Basic/SourceManager.cpp:1100:10: fatal error: 'emmintrin.h' file not found
#include <emmintrin.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
mkdep: compile failed
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/clang/libclangbasic
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/clang
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src
root@web1:/usr/src#

Thanks for giving it another try. I have to say I am completely stumped as to what the problem might be. I can find no mention of this specific problem anywhere. I'll keep digging and let you know if I find anything that can help. Sorry.

Ok, all fixed. To fix it I used a virtual machine with the same version of FreeBSD (10.0.0/amd64), then I compared both /usr/include from the virtual machine and the server, then I noticed a difference between the versions and files. To fix it I replaced the server's /usr/include with the one of the VM, after that all goes good!

Fixed!

RedFoxy said:
Ok, all fixed. To fix it I used a virtual machine with the same version of FreeBSD (10.0.0/amd64), then I compared both /usr/include from the virtual machine and the server, then I noticed a difference between the versions and files. To fix it I replaced the server's /usr/include with the one of the VM, after that all goes good!

Fixed!

Glad to hear that. I'm gonna going to build one VM for myself now. Thank you!

Back