Solved [Solved] TeX Live problems

Hi all.

First of all, sorry if I can't express myself very well, but English is not my native language.

Since the last update of TeX Live, I've been having problems again and again. First, after I updated, some default packages (of TeX) that worked previously (obviously, since they are default packages) stopped working. I tried to reinstall print/texlive-full, but I got something like this (I no longer have the original output):
Code:
===>   texlive-base-20120701_5 depends on shared library: zzipgrep: writing output: Broken pipe
grep: writing output: Broken pipe
[...]
 - found
===>   texlive-base-20120701_5 depends on shared library: kpathseagrep: writing output: Broken pipe
[...]
 - found
===>   texlive-base-20120701_5 depends on shared library: ptexencgrep: writing output: Broken pipe
[...]
 - found
[same again and again with every library]
Note that it's a fragment that I get when I try to compile the port after uninstalling it; when it was installed, the outputs were things like
Code:
===>   texlive-full-20120701 depends on file: /usr/local/share/texmf-dist/READMEgrep: writing output: Broken pipe
instead of
Code:
===>   texlive-base-20120701_5 depends on shared library: ptexencgrep: writing output: Broken pipe
. As print/texlive-full is a meta-port (if I'm not wrong), it did nothing but tell me that all TeX Live ports were already installed, and because of the
Code:
error, I decided to keep the port installed, since I was afraid of not being able to reinstall it again.

I managed to fix some errors by reinstalling some TeX default packages manually, but I couldn't make the rest work. Today I downgraded all the TeX and TeX Live ports to the version which I had before the update, but when I was about to compile it, I got the
Code:
errors again so, since the compilation seemed to work, I decided to uninstall and reinstall the last version of port, but now, when I'm compiling it, I get the following error (plus all the
Code:
stuff):

Code:
[...]
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/share/texmf-config/web2c
/usr/bin/touch /usr/local/share/texmf-config/web2c/.keep_me
install  -o root -g wheel -m 444 /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf  /usr/local/share/texmf-config/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
install: /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf: No such file or directory
*** [post-install-fmtutil] Error code 71

Stop in /usr/ports/print/texlive-base.
*** [build-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/texlive-texmf.
*** [build-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/texlive-full.
*** [configure] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/texlive-full.
I've tried to reinstall devel/tex-web2c (where I also get the grep stuff) before print/texlive-full, but I get the same error.

Any idea?

Greetings and thanks.

Re: TeX Live problems

Unfortunately I can't reproduce your problem: # portmaster print/texlive-full just deinstalls and reinstalls :) If no one else can help (you may want to give it at least a day or so if that's an option), I suggest you take it to the freebsd-tex@ mailing list.

Thanks for your reply, I think that the problem is caused by the last updated of perl or another port, since it seems that I had the latest version of TeX Live and no matter to what version I downgrade it but the grep messages keep coming. Also, when I was rebuilding all perl dependent ports, there was a set of problems with TeX compilations (I tried to build teTeX instead of TeX Live). I rebuilt all perl dependent ports again, but not is working yet. I will keep trying, if finally I can't fix it, I will do what you told me :)

Fixed!

All the grep stuff was a mask of the real problem (AFAIK, the grep error is relatively common, has nothing to do with ports). This is what I did, for if it helps someone else:

I copied /usr/ports/print/texlive-base/work/stage/usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf to /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c to fix the original error, i.e.:
Code:
install: /usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf: No such file or directory
After that, I got another error, which led me to this (I don't have the original error, but it is very similar to the link's). I think that when I updated the ports, after the downgrade, something went wrong, so I ran portsnap fetch extract, uninstalled all TeX ports, removed the /usr/local/share/texmf* stuff, rebuilt print/texlive-full and then it worked. What I don't know, is what happened after rebuilding all perl dependent ports, but well, now it works fine :e

Now I will take a look at grep's error. Anyway, I will mark this post as solved.

Back