Solved [Solved] Scrolling without scroll lock or Shift+PgUp/Dn?

B

blunderbelly

Fresh install 10.0 r260789. Console only. Mounted install media and confirmed kb keyboard is standard US. It's a laptop, Dell Inspiron 1545.
Here's a link to the keyboard on ebay so you can see the layout
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Laptop-Keyb ... 0932604494
I've turned off all special keyboard functions in the BIOS (switched to "fn key required for media keys" instead of media keys always on)

Some mappings seem fine, like Alt+F switches ttyv as does Prnt Screen. F1 through F4 do nothing on there own while F5=5~, F6=7~, F7=8~, F8=9~, F9=0~, F10=1~, F11=3~, F12=4~
Home and End work to go from the beginning to the end of lines. Page Up and Page Down scroll fine in man pages.

I just can't seem to get Shift+PgUp/Dn to scroll the console? It also seems the keyboard mapping is messed up in [man=1vi[/man] as well, but I fixed that on my own a few years ago but manually setting mappings in .vimrc or something so I'll work that out later. Is this http://www.freebsddiary.org/kbdcontrol.php still relevant? If so I'm sure I could work my way through it. Figured I'd ask here first.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Scrolling console without scroll lock or Shift+PgUp/Dn?

Shift+Page Up and Shift+Page Down are Linux key combinations. The FreeBSD console uses Scroll Lock and then arrow or page keys, or Home and End.

Thank's for the reply wblock! Although I still seem to be having issues. My keyboard doesn't have scroll lock and Home/End won't scroll in the shell, which is default csh... While in a large MAN page I can use Home to go to top of document, PgUp/Dn to scroll pages, and End to exit. Yet Home and End yield no results when trying to simply browse the start up or a large ifconfig.

blunderbelly said:
Yet Home and End yield no results when trying to simply browse the start up or a large ifconfig.
You do know how to use less(1) or more(1), right?

Console history is not a function of the shell, it is controlled by the console driver, sc(4). Man page scrolling is handled by the pager, typically less(1).

On that keyboard, try Fn-F5 for Scroll Lock. Or maybe -F11 or -F12. Dell is not constrained by the concerns of making sense or usability.

@SirDice
Is the monitor plugged it? ;) I'm a fan of simplicity... I'm familiar with them but I just needed the short cuts. If I had to, I would have ended up using an alias on some commands until this was sorted. Thanks!

@wblock
Your approach worked. Fn-F6 was the magic number. I should have used SirDice's advice; apparently I was thinking about it too much, when a bit of blind button mashing could have provided a solution.

Thanks both, this is solved.

On some new Dell XPS which doesn't have a separate Scroll Lock key, you can press Fn + S to achieve the same effect.
For the record, you can also look at Thread 42703 for other possibilities.

Back