Solved [Solved] Running XBMC in a dual head configuration

Hello guys,

I'm currently trying to set-up a second and dedicated TV screen (next to my desktop) that should be used as a XBCM display. The trick here is that I have only one GPU (nvidia) which supports dual headed configurations.

I have tested multiple Xorg configurations and found none as a final workable set-up. I hope some of you guys can help me out on this one.

1 - Second screen with XBMC in full screen mode.
The problem I got with this configuration is that XBMC locks down all input devices and therefore I cannot use my desktop any more. I've red that this is an SDL limitation and not easily fixed, right?

2 - Second screen with windowed XBMC in full screen mode.
This solution works for me but the X performance drops dramatically. Other windows, Compiz and the overall X feeling starts to stutter. Does someone knows how to isolate a single (XBMC) window, so no effects and additional rendering is done by my Window Manager and Compiz?

3 - Running a second Xserver dedicated for XBMC.
The problem that arises here is that I'm only allowed to switch to one X session at a time and not simultaneously. So It's the TV screen is active OR my desktop screen. This because I only have one PCI address available for X, right? I've red some Xephyr documentations and this could be an option, but I have my doubts on the performance. Does someone has any experience with Xephyr and its performance? Is Xephyr good enough to run a full screen XBMC instance on the second screen?

I hope someone can help me out or bring some new insights.

Regards,

Kraan

Re: Running XBMC in a dual head configuration

Hello all,

I will wait for the XBMC improvements which should be added in upcoming releases.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3505

Code:
- supports multiple monitors on a single X screen
- supports monitors on multiple X screens
- xrandr screen rotations (initial trigger for this endeavor)
- fallback to other monitor if e.g. projector or AVR disconnects
- auto switch to desired monitor when AVR get connected
- fix VideoReferenceClock for multiple monitors
- fix VideoReferenceClock for systems having no nvidia-settings (OpenElec)
- add some missing keys like XF86XK_Sleep
- Note that this code has been used by OpenElec
Regards,
Kraan

Back