Solved [Solved] Reduce heat when compiling? (VirtualBox install)

Since there is so much compiling in FreeBSD, I would like to find a way to reduce the amount of heat my computer produces to protect the hardware. Currently, my VirtualBox device settings use two (out of four) CPUs and have a 100% execution cap.

Would reducing either of these result in lower CPU usage and prevent overheating? Is there anything else I can do?

I am running FreeBSD 9.2 in VirtualBox on Mac OS 10.9. MacBook Pro 8,2 with Intel Core i7 quad-core processor at 2.2 GHz. 8 GB RAM (4 GB for the virtual machine).

Re: Reduce heat when compiling? (VirtualBox install)

Unless your fan is inadequate, the hardware should be fine. But you can reduce power usage and make compiles go faster at the same time by using powerd(8). It enables Turbo mode on Intel processors, and makes big compiles noticeably faster. In /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
powerd_enable="YES"
powerd_flags="-a hadp -n hadp"

If you notice laggy reactions, add -p50 to the options.

Thanks! It's good to know overheating isn't something I really have to worry about. I appreciate the information about powerd. I'm not sure what you mean by "laggy reactions," so I'll just do without the -p flag for now. We'll see how large compiles go from now on.

I wonder if there are other ways to speed up my compiles (without breaking anything). A quick search shows that MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER might be helpful.

"Laggy reactions" means the mouse hesitating when you move it, or other types of hesitations as the CPU speeds back up.

Ports automatically use multiple jobs if it is safe.

Oh, ok. There's none of that, so the polling interval must be fine as it is. Good to hear ports are smart about compiling.

Thanks for your help!

Back