Solved [Solved] Realtek RTL8111/8168D issues? No carrier

After testing FreeBSD in a VM, I decided I wanted to install it onto my base system, so I burned my 64-bit 10.0RC4 ISO and ran the installer off of it. The installation went smoothly until I got to network configuration. I have an onboard Realtek RTL8111/8168D NIC detected as re0, but the status remained as "no carrier" no matter how many times I unplugged/replugged the cable. I doubt the issue is with this cable, because I've been using it for years and it's never failed me. That said, though, the switch didn't see the device on the other end of the cable, either.

I tried booting into Windows 7, and to my surprise, it doesn't see the cable as plugged in any more, either. What? Did FreeBSD's driver mess up my NIC? I reinstalled the device in Windows, but it still doesn't see the cable as plugged in. I would try testing it on Linux but I wiped the drive I had Linux on to put FreeBSD there.

To summarize:
  • The NIC was working perfectly.
  • I tried to install FreeBSD.
  • I couldn't connect using the NIC in FreeBSD (it said no carrier).
  • Now Windows and the switch I am running through don't think the cable is connected, either.

Also, I tried reinstalling FreeBSD, and if I pressed Ctrl+Shift+F4 and typed ifconfig before going through the installer, the NIC (re0)'s status was active. I'm just confused.

EDIT: I swapped Cat 5 cables with another system, and the cable I was using on my system is working in the second system, while the cable I was using on the second system isn't detected by my system. So it's not the cable, it seems like it's the NIC, which is a drag big time.

Re: Realtek RTL8111/8168D issues? No carrier

Try turning the machine completely off before booting FreeBSD. I had a similar issue with Realtek some time ago. When I booted Windows it worked but if I rebooted to FreeBSD the card just didn't want to work. I had to power down the machine completely and then boot straight to FreeBSD. I think Windows may sometimes leave the card in some weird state when rebooting.

SirDice said:
Try turning the machine completely off before booting FreeBSD. I had a similar issue with Realtek some time ago. When I booted Windows it worked but if I rebooted to FreeBSD the card just didn't want to work. I had to power down the machine completely then boot straight to FreeBSD. I think Windows may sometimes leave the card in some weird state when rebooting.

I've had the same issue a few times myself with that particular model integrated network card and this fixed it. To add to this, I had to completely disconnect the power supply from its power source for at least a minute to get it to work again for me, as just shutting down and then powering on the computer would not fix it in my case. I don't know why that is however.

I unplugged the cable from the power supply for a few minutes before turning it back on, and now it's working. How strange... I'm glad it's working again now, though. Thank you!

This also just worked for me for an integrated Intel x540-T on a Supermicro mainboard. I had it powered up for about 2 weeks with just one cable plugged in and when I went to plugin the second cable, nothing. restart the box, nothing. Freebsd FreeBSD 10.0 on bare metal. Shut down fully, pulled both power plugs for 30 seconds, plugged in both NICs, turned on and got blinking lights on both!

I don't think it is a FreeBSD related problem. I encountered this problem on Windows-only PCs too.
The method of fixing not working onboard NICs is always the same for me.

Turn off, unplug power cable (or switch off at PSU), press power button (lets consume the rest of energy stored in the PSU components), plug power cable back in and boot again.

I am just wondering that only onboard devices produce such errors. I had never problems like this with added PCI or PCIe NICs.

Back