Solved [Solved] Poudriere, make.conf cputype?=

In poudriere, /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/ make.confand jail_name-make.conf, how are they differentiated? or, when is either one used?

Is the make.conf used for buildworld on the jail? or as a Global type setting for everything?
And jail_name-make.conf if I want to specify a different architecture to build, using that particular jail?

If make.conf is Global, will it overwrite settings in jail_name-make.conf, or vice versa?

Re: Poudriere, make.conf cputype?=

rhish said:
In poudriere, /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/ make.confand jail_name-make.conf, how are they differentiated? or, when is either one used?
From poudriere(8):
Code:
   Create optional make.conf
     You can also specify a global make.conf which will be used for all the
     jails.  Any of the following are allowed and will all be used in the
     order shown:

/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/make.conf
           /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<setname>-make.conf
           /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<tree>-make.conf
           /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<jailname>-make.conf
           /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<jailname>-<tree>-make.conf
           /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<jailname>-<setname>-make.conf
           /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/<jailname>-<tree>-<setname>-make.conf

Is the make.conf used for buildworld on the jail? or as a Global type setting for everything?
It's used in exactly the same way as /etc/make.conf.

If I set something in make.conf, as a default, it cant be overwritten. So, basically, everything should be set particularly at each jailname-make.conf? Seemed backwards, but whatever. I should be able to overwrite defaults using a more particular jailname-make.conf. But, maybe I'm just not seeing the overall gist.

As an aside, If the host I'm using poudriere on has a core2 processor, and I want packages that will work on either core2 or amd-fx processors, I should just leave cputype blank right?
It will build generically by the processor it has, and this being core2 processor, the resulting packages will work on any amd64 type processor?

The HowTo on these forums suggests setting a cputype.
http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php ... =poudriere

Trying to avoid the whole "omg dont set cflags" situations.

Actually, I think i misinterpreted it originally.

If I set something in jailname-make.conf it Will overwrite options set in make.conf, i.e. have authority over whats written in make.conf?

So, if I set

Code:
OPTIONS_UNSET = NLS

in global make.conf

And then set a particular setting in jailname-make.conf

Code:
OPTIONS_SET = NLS

the jailname-make.conf will win and it will be built with NLS?

As a second aside, poudriere is great. It makes it simple to keep this whole process organized. Which, otherwise, is pretty complex for intermediate users like myself.

The only issue now is a privation of megaport...

"...we need more power"

http://www.ixsystems.com/whats-new/megaport/

rhish said:
So, if I set

Code:
OPTIONS_UNSET = NLS

in global make.conf

And then set a particular setting in jailname-make.conf

Code:
OPTIONS_SET = NLS

the jailname-make.conf will win and it will be built with NLS?
I would refrain from constructions like that. I'm not sure how things are working with the new option sets but in the old days defining both WITH_X11 and WITHOUT_X11 (for example) may not do what you expect. They're tested in different ways and do not cancel each other out as you would expect.

There is an OPTIONS_OVERRIDE variable that can be set to the specific list of options that should be enabled, and the port will be built with only those options, no matter what is set via make.conf, the port Makefile, or the options file under /var/db/ports.

As the wiki page states, use with extreme caution!!

Here's the blurb:
Code:
OPTIONS_OVERRIDE can be used to for a port to be built only with the options given in OPTIONS_OVERRIDE. (However, check-config will still be used to force a valid combination of options).

Thanks for the feedback. Once I got everything up and running, it became a whole lot more obvious whats going on. Poudriere does a good job of putting all the information out there while its happening, and logs.

Poudriere is great! Well done! :)

Back