Solved [Solved] PKGng problems on 9.2-RELEASE

Hi All!

I already using PKGng on my 10.0-RELEASE and three other (1 new, 2 upgraded). I have my own repository with custom options. It works great, downloads from my repo, and the missing ones from official.

Today I wanted to switch to PKGng on a 9.2-RELEASE system to further ease the upgrades. Installed the PKGng base, ran pkg2ng. I deleted the deprecated pkg.conf and added the FreeBSD.conf file to /etc/pkg as on 10.0-RELEASE. Of course, I have a repo for 9.2-RELEASE, too. I'm not trying to use my 10.0-RELEASE repo for this system.
But pkg update not works for me. Sometimes it downloads the FreeBSD official package list, but not mine. Sometimes do nothing after "Updating repository catalogue" line. I watched with top, and the pkg process stays at "connect" state, CPU load slowly falls to 0%, then does nothing until I stop it with Ctrl-C.

So I can't update my package list - can't use PKGng at all on this 9.2-RELEASE system.
I started the update the old way: portmaster -a, and it's compiling 130 ports now... I managing more 9.2-RELEASE systems, and I would like to use binary updates in the future, if possible.

Any ideas?

Re: PKGng problems on 9.2-RELEASE

Below the two files I use for pkg. This two works on all 10.0-RELEASE machines, and I didn't find any references on that I must do this another way on 9.2-RELEASE.

/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
  mirror_type: "SRV",
  enabled: yes
}
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/MyRepo.conf
Code:
MyRepo: {
  url: "http://my.own.server/packages/92i386-default",
  mirror_type: "http",
  enabled: yes
}

Configs are good. Just doing a sanity check. The only thing that makes sense to me would be some general connectivity problems when pkg tries to run. Maybe while the connection is timing out running nc -nvvz my.own.server 80 and ping my.own.server would be worthwhile just to double check there's not intermittent issues. Even then though, if you have been doing other network related things on the box then you likely would have noticed other issues by now.

Disable one of the repositories and troubleshoot the remaining one. Switch the other way and repeat.

junovitch said:
nc -nvvz my.own.server 80 and ping my.own.server

I tried these two and it showed me that the box didn't got any connectivity to my server... No anwser to ping and no connection with nc. I tried this from many other hosts now, and those all can connect to mine, so this one has a serious problem. Currently we're changing the internet provider on this host (waiting to physical cabling done), so I will try again after.

I don't mind that there maybe connection issues to my server because all other internet access from that host (all that I tried) looking good.

Thanks for your help!

Solution: Never write too restrictive firewall rules for yourself!

Just for reference, I finally found the source of my problems today, on another machine. The reason for no ping and nc answers: my own restrictive firewall rules. I set a connection rate limit of 15/5 on all public ports, and pkg exhausted this sooner than I even think of...

I never ran into this problem before, this ruleset working on my server about a year ago. So I didn't mind this as a possible cause until today.

Back