Solved [Solved] partedit segmentation fault

A few days ago I tried FreeBSD 10 on virtualbox and although I had a problem connecting to my wireless on boot I decided to make the step and install FreeBSD 10 on my pc (AMD Athlon64). During installation I'm getting an "Installation step has been aborted" message. Switching to a different tty with Ctr+Alt+F3 I can see that partedit fails
Code:
Running installation step: partedit segmentation fault
I read a similar older thread but there was no clear fix on that.
On my BIOS, the "On-Chip ATA Devices" menu shows:
Code:
PCI IDE Busmaster           [Enabled]
On-Chip SATA Controller     [Enabled]
RAID mode                   [IDE]
My hard drive is Western Digital WD2500KS-00MJB0 and my motherboard is an MSI K9A2GM V3.
Any idea why the installer can't write to my disk and what should I do to fix it?

Re: Running installation step: partedit segmantation fault

Running inside VirtualBox, FreeBSD will never see the motherboard controllers. It only sees the virtual hardware. Did you change any of the defaults when creating the VM?

Re: Running installation step: partedit segmentation fault

Hi wblock@ , I guess I wasn't clear, this problem occurred when I tried to install on my actual desktop pc. When I installed on vbox (with the default options) I had no problem partitioning and installing at all. Additionally to my previous post, some more info that might shed some light: on my BIOS i can see
Code:
IDE Primary Master  Not detected
IDE Primary Slave   HL DT STDVD RAM
SATA1               WDC WD2500KS 00
SATA2               Not Detected
SATA3               Not Detected
SATA4               Not Detected
Also while booting the FreeBSD DVD I can see twice an error that looks something like this:
Code:
ATA IDENTIFY ACB ec 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 
CAM status: command timeout
Error 5 Retry was blocked
and sometime later
Code:
eval cannot create /etc/hosts.conf Read-only file system
Unfortunately this is all I can recall and as much as I could transfer from paper, I hope someone will understand where this comes from.
I'm sorry if I'm throwing useless information here but I'm not sure which of these might be useful to you and which is not.
I tried loading the optimum default options on my bios and the safe fail options but didn't change anything.

xtremystinx said:
My hard drive is Western Digital WD2500KS-00MJB0 and my motherboard is an MSI K9A2GM V3.
Any idea why the installer can't write to my disk and what should I do to fix it?
Are your HDD and Motherboard at the latest firmware level?

No, I haven't update them, I can't find anything on the HD but there are some updates available for my mobo, I'll update them and report back. Thanks for the tip.

If FreeBSD is the only installed operating system, enable AHCI. Windows 7 can use that also, but drivers must be adjusted.

I have 3 other OSs on my disk (windows XP, arch linux and lmde) and I want to keep two of them (windows and arch), I was thinking I could replace lmde with FreeBSD and keep Grub2.
Updating the BIOS firmware gave me some progress. Partedit doesn't fail anymore, I can see my partitions, however when I tried to modify my 15GB logical partition that hosts lmde (ada0s7) I'm getting an error saying "Operation canceled precheck failed".
My partitions scheme looks like this:
Code:
ada0 MBR
ada0s1 39 Gb ntfs
ada0s2 127 Gb ntfs
ada0s3 67 Gb EBR
   ada0s5 2 Gb linux swap
   ada0s6 20 Gb linux-data
   ada0s7 15 Gb linux-data
   ada0s8 31 Gb ntfs
This time I think I can write on my disk, I guess I have to read some more and see what I can do with my partitions, maybe create a new primary partition just for FreeBSD. Any suggestions are welcome.

The FreeBSD installer may not be happy about installing to an extended partition. FreeBSD will run from one, but the standard bootcode can't handle it. With Grub, that won't be a problem, but the installer might think otherwise.

Updating BIOS solved this for me, I successfully created another partition and installed FreeBSD, having a problem with X but that's another issue. I'm marking this as solved. A big warm thank you to everyone who tried to help.

xtremystinx said:
No, I haven't update them, I can't find anything on the HD but there are some updates available for my mobo, I'll update them and report back. Thanks for the tip.

xtremystinx said:
Updating bios solved this for me, I successfully created another partition and installed freeBSD, having a problem with X but that's another issue. I'm marking this as solved. A big warm thank you to everyone who tried to help.
Just out of curiosity, was it the Motherboard BIOS updates that resolved the issue and/or were you able to find a firmware upgrade for the HDD as well?

Back