Solved [Solved] OpenNTPD - time always wrong

Hello,

I have set up OpenNTPD as follows: make -C /usr/ports/net/openntpd/ BATCH=yes install clean and set the following in /etc/ntpd.conf:
Code:
# Addresses to listen on (ntpd does not listen by default)
listen on 127.0.0.1

## preferred and accurate from UK
server ntp2.ja.net
server ntp0.luns.net.uk
server ntppub.le.ac.uk
server ntp2d.mcc.ac.uk
server ntp.my-inbox.co.uk
## mostly accurate fallback servers
server ntp.markyate.net
I also added this in /etc/rc.conf
Code:
### Time Synchronisation ###
openntpd_enable="Yes" # Synchronize The Local Clock
openntpd_flags="-s"

After several days of running when I do date, I am one hour behind the current time. Could someone tell me if I am missing something? My time zone is Europe/London.

Thank you.

Re: OpenNTPD - time always wrong

fred974 said:
After running several day aof running when I do date, I am 1 hour behind the current time.

Could someone tell me if I am missed something?
My time zone is Europe/London
Did you set the timezone correctly? It could also be the Daylight Saving Time that's on or off. Run (as root) tzsetup to set the timezone.

Thank you @SirDice, It has solved my problem. Just a clarification if I may. WIll /net/openntpd keep the time in the jails as well as the host or do I need to install it in the jails as well?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

fred974 said:
Thank you @SirDice, It has solved my problem.
Just a clarification if I may..
WIll /net/openntpd keep the time in the jails as well as the host or do I need to install it in the jails aswell.

Thank you

The kernel is what keeps track of the time, the jails will ask the kernel for the correct time and interpret it according to their /etc/localtime setting. Just make sure the jails have the correct localtime set with tzsetup(8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back