Solved [Solved] NIC not running at gigabit speed

Today I plugged my server into a new gigabit switch but when I run ifconfig it shows:

Code:
nic0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=403bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSU                                         M,TSO4,TSO6,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether 00:25:90:86:cd:5c
        inet6 fe80::225:90ff:fe86:cd5c%nic0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet 192.168.0.240 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)

ie: its only running at 100megabits.

I tried running:
Code:
/etc/rc.d/netif restart

but this didn't help. I know for sure that the NIC is a gigabit one and I also have two other machines plugged into the switch and they get gigabit speed.

Do I need to reboot the server or force gigabit speed? I thought it would have just auto negotiated it...

Here is the network card details:
Code:
igb0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection version - 2.4.0>

Re: NIC not running at gigabit speed

Maybe obvious, but you did not state that you had verified the switch port is configured as "AUTO" or "1000baseTX" or that you had tried another port on the switch. You should not have to reboot, but you can certainly try to see if it resolves the issue. I should think that ifconfig nic0 down and ifconfig nic0 up would be sufficient.

Try a different Ethernet cable. Gigabit needs all four pairs connected.

Why does it say nic0 in the output?

I've tried connecting the server to a port that one of the other machines was connected to (that I know works) and it didn't make a difference. I've restarted the netif and routing services but still no luck.

Tried a couple Ethernet cables but no difference. I have labelled my NIC as nic0 but the FreeBSD default name is igb0.

Do I need to try something like ifconfig nic0 media 1000baseTX?

xy16644 said:
Do I need to try something like ifconfig nic0 media 1000baseTX?

What version of FreeBSD did you say you were running? I would try swapping the NIC.

FreeBSD 10-STABLE. No, swapping it isn't an option, it's onboard.

The igb(4) interface shouldn't have any problems connecting with 1 Gb/s, we have several machines with that interface. Either the interface itself is broken or you have a bunch of bad cables. Make sure they're at least Cat 5e.

Do I have to put the following in my /etc/rc.conf file:
Code:
if_igb_load="YES"

Is this needed? I don't have this entry in my /etc/rc.conf currently.

It's not supposed to be /etc/rc.conf but /boot/loader.conf. But it shouldn't be needed if you're running the GENERIC kernel, it's built into it.

Problem solved!

I took a Cat 5e cable from my desktop that connects at gigabit and used that cable on the server...straight away I got 1000baseT.

Heres the weird bit, I used the same cable that was getting 100mb/s on the server and used that very same cable on my deskop and I am getting gigabit...go figure!

Thanks for the help everyone.

xy16644 said:
Heres the weird bit, I used the same cable that was getting 100mb/s on the server and used that very same cable on my deskop and I am getting gigabit...go figure!
Sounds like what I call a "magic" cable. Bin it and replace it with a new one. The problem will most likely reappear in the future on your desktop.

Back