Solved [Solved] I made a huge mistake

Hi guys, I did something very stupid I think.

I'm a real noob but I tried to install FreeBSD because why not, and I can't remember what exactly it is I did, but it erased everything on my hard drive (that's not a problem), and now it doesn't want to boot. I get this on my screen:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... 204050.jpg

I tried to boot with a live USB of Fedora (I come from Fedora) but it doesn't work, when I have to choose what device I want to boot with I select my USB stick and tap Enter but nothing happens:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... 204023.jpg

I think I have an installation CD for Windows somewhere, maybe it would boot over the FreeBSD's boot loader? I know I should have tried that before asking you, but I don't have time to look for the CD right now, so I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks in advance, I really don't know what to do.

Re: I made a huge mistake

Yeah sorry mate, I edited that.
But what if all of my UEFI boot options have been corrupted by FreeBSD and I can't boot from USB anymore ??

It's possible your Fedora USB isn't working properly--does it boot Fedora on other computers.

Is it a new computer? Do you have the secure boot thing enabled in the BIOS? If so, there's a few things that need to be done to boot it, but I don't remember what they are--the one install I did on a computer new enough to have it, I just disabled it.
Will a FreeBSD USB boot and install?

Now I've tried to boot on Fedora over this FreeBSD install, the USB stick doesn't work anywhere, but it did its job before on every computer I've used.
It's not a new computer and I don't think the secure boot is enabled (at least I was able to boot FreeBSD from a live USB without touching anything (and Fedora before that)).

Change your name to @MisterSmart and then try rebooting.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :e

Last edited by a moderator:

If I understand your post, do you mean the USB no longer works on any computer? In that case, have you tried with a different USB stick?

Or, on another computer, using parted to completely remove any partitions, then put in a new partition and try again. What I _have_ had occur is that after putting FreeBSD on a USB, I had to wipe everything with parted before putting Fedora on it with livecd-iso-to-disk. You can also probably use dd to put FreeBSD back on the USB, wiping out whatever's there, and try again with FreeBSD.

The first picture shows that FreeBSD is actually booting. Beyond that, we have no information. What version of FreeBSD? Was it UFS or ZFS? Was it a default install or did you change the settings? What model of computer was it installed on?

It's probably a standard BIOS, and I'd guess that the hard drive is set to be the first boot device. How to bring up the BIOS boot device menu depends on what kind of machine it is.

Well guys, I found a blank CD-RW in a stack of useless things and I burnt an .iso of Fedora on it and I was able to boot with it, replacing the whatever was installed on my computer with Fedora. Everything works fine now, maybe I'll join you later on the boat of FreeBSD, but I don't think about upgrading ANYTHING in the next 100 years. Have a nice day.

Back