Solved [SOLVED] How to update --STABLE?

Greetings,
Afetr so many years using cvsup, I'm still not "locked in" to all the differences that subversion brings to undating src && ports.
So given that the "Updating and Upgrading FreeBSD" section in the FreeBSD handbook only covers freebsd-update(), I was hoping that someone could help me with updating my copy of src && ports.
I'm tracking RELENG_8 (currently means 8.4-STABLE). After making the switch from cvsup to subversion, I performed:
Code:
svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/8 /usr/src
and
Code:
svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
Which gave me the then current copies of src && ports for RELENG_8.
It's time to update these trees again, but attempting:
Code:
svn update svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/8 /usr/src
and
Code:
svn update svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
both fail (emit errors). Specifically; how do I perform the above commands correctly, to keep tracking only RELENG_8 for src, and track HEAD for ports?
I know this will probably sound pretty lame to many subversion users, but man() svn() produces nearly nothing, and I'm a l-o-o-o-n-g time user of cvs(). Which is what I still use for all the ports, and other projects I maintain.

Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

--Chris

Re: How to update --STABLE?

It's easier than csup/cvsup. After a checkout, Subversion knows about the repository URL. So just: svn up /usr/src.

If you did not delete /usr/src before the checkout, might want to do that now and start over. Stale files can remain if a checkout goes over them, and will cause puzzling problems.

Subversion does not really have man pages. It does have built-in help: svn help up | less.

Re: How to update --STABLE?

wblock@ said:
It's easier than csup/cvsup. After a checkout, Subversion knows about the repository URL. So just: svn up /usr/src.

If you did not delete /usr/src before the checkout, might want to do that now and start over. Stale files can remain if a checkout goes over them, and will cause puzzling problems.
wblock@
WOW! Thank you fot the fast response!
exactly what I needed -- 2 thumbs up. :)

--Chris

Back