Solved [Solved] How get SSH session back on client terminal screen?

Hello,

I have a terminal session to a remote server and had started a long process (portupgrade). After some time the client terminal has logged me out. I see on the screen a port configuration menu, but I am no more able to make some keystrokes. But the the process on the server is still running.

When I logged in again, I see:

who -a
Code:
- system boot  30 Apr 21:40    old  
peter            + pts/0         1 Mai 18:07   (? hang)   (g227214047.adsl.com)
peter            + pts/1         2 Mai 11:11     .          (g227214047.adsl.com)

Now I actually run on the pts/1 terminal Is there a command to get pts/0 back on the screen?

Thank you for your ideas.

Re: How to get a ssh Session back on client terminal screen?

The process is hung up, you need to kill it. You can't re-attach to it unfortunately. For future reference, do your remote work in a sysutils/tmux session. Processes started inside a tmux(1) session will keep running if you lose connection and can be re-attached when the connection is restored.

Re: How to get a SSH session back on client terminal screen?

Thank You for the advice. So it seems I have to do
portupgrade -afp
again. To explain: I had udated to FreeBSD 10 from 8.1 and know I like to recompile all ports again. This is recommended in the handbook.

In between the time I found the GNU screen tool in the web.
Would it not be better to use GNU sysutils/screen instead of sysutils/tmux?
And why not - what are the disadvantages for using screen, or what is better with tmux ?

Harald

sysutils/tmux is safer from a security point of view. Unlike tmux sysutils/screen installs the main binary as setuid root and if there happens to be a serious enough bug in screen it will immediately give any user the superuser privileges.

ok -this will persuade me. I will give tmux a try.

Re: [Solved] How get SSH session back on client terminal scr

The other "advantage" tmux(1) has is that it's BSD licensed.

Back