Solved [Solved] How do I install a SSH key generated by puttygen?

Hello guys. I didn't know where to write this topic so I just do it here, if it's wrong selection sorry about that.

I'm a 17 years old ICT student. I have generate my private key with puttygen and I would love to secure my server. But on the internet it was really hard to find any tutorial about it. So my question is, how can I install my private key on freebsd FreeBSD?

Thank you, greetings.

Re: How do I install a ssh private key generated by puttygen

Just open the key in PuTTYgen and copy/paste the "public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys file" into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. Create it if it doesn't exist. Make sure everything is pasted as one line.

You don't install the private key anywhere but keep it very secure with a password set on the machine where you generated it. What you do install is the matching public key to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the server. Make sure you have the key in the right format, if I remember right you have to copy the key from PuTTygen's window and paste it then on the terminal window while you have the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file open in an editor.

That seems to be easy, but.. This is my public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys file:

Code:
PuTTY-User-Key-File-2: ssh-rsa
Encryption: none
Comment: rsa-key-20140115
Public-Lines: 6
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAQEAjIMH4zY7tu+4M4BMR1ZqEFm7LH2Vm/gUhInG
ALp4rn8ddR7skDI9mrkRojcKyzrzEkDvQVPvqnQvlHUIOmy60ZcD83QHgsF8jV0t
ANq3sp39q52vL31s9nV/t4Wx3a+k0F59p85f9IGvoLuvXr448aSjmIJzGV+o4JIx
ZMTtQtbqhbllEAbp/pt3ztTakwGudFyqcOiSDhQVdbPIJYeOa5KSMlwWvCo9h/x7
//GjmLAnBiX8SavRcnI4gk5pJ5IGYhwPs8SGS5BTUw1EqPnH5Z5A4faM+NzQ7m+P
Uy726Frn3ogQEOEp3QeQGQlSZLjCEkKwV2OMHJ4347q5ZlGNnw==
Private-Lines: 14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Private-MAC: 27dacfaef0f4b9eb4d06b11cdb4a31b28cd6e816

I put it into /.ssh/authorized_keys. And now I generate a .ppk file, and sorry, but what is my paraphase [ pass phrase? -- Mod. ] to connect with server?

I don't know where you got that from but that's both your private and public key. This is not what's shown in the PuTTYgen window.

That's the wrong type of public key, you need the key in the OpenSSH format that has the key as a one long line. Select the text in the window of PuTTYgen and copy it to place the key in the clipboard. Also you just copy/pasted your private key for everyone to see. Scratch that key and generate a new one. You won't have a passphrase for login when the key authentication is working, only the password that you have set for the private key will be asked by PuTTY.

Thank you guys! You really helped me. Both of you! @kpa, you are right, I did it wrong but now I know how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back