Solved [SOLVED]hash map "Alias0": missing map file(thanks, dpejesh)

Since the upgrade to 10.0-RELEASE, stdout is reporting the following error for 3 of the 4 active jails on this particular server:

Code:
SYSERR(root): hash map "Alias0": missing map file /etc/mail/aliases.db: No such file or directory

Anybody else experiencing this?

Re: sm-mta: hash map "Alias0": missing map file

make -C /etc/mail aliases

That'll generate the aliases.db file for you from /etc/mail/aliases.

Thanks, @dpejesh. The host and jail, both of which aren't reporting the error, do have aliases.db:

Code:
root@nakatomi:~ # locate aliases.db
/etc/mail/aliases.db
/usr/jails/mail/etc/aliases.db

So it makes sense, that the 3 jails reporting the error are all missing it. Why has this error only now been reported since upgrading to 10.0-RELEASE though?

Also, would issuing sendmail -bi achieve the same result [*]?

[*] sendmail(8)
-bi Initialize the alias database.

Last edited by a moderator:

nanotek said:
So it makes sense, that the 3 jails reporting the error are all missing it. Why has this error only now been reported since upgrading to 10.0-RELEASE though?

It's not specific to 10.0-RELEASE. bsdinstall creates it during installation and I'm guessing you generated it while working within your mail jail. It's a typical error that you run into when manually creating an installation or jail directly from the release tarballs without using the installer.

nanotek said:
Also, would issuing sendmail -bi achieve the same result [*]?

[*] sendmail(8)
-bi Initialize the alias database.

I believe so. You can also use newaliases which does the same thing.

Thanks, @dpejesh, you're very helpful. I notice you contribute a lot around here recently and I appreciate it very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back