Solved [Solved] gnome-terminal unstable behaviour

Hi everyone.

I'm running 9.2-RELEASE, 64 bit, the latest ports version of GNOME and all that's included. The problem is, gnome-terminal behaves in an "unstable" way: trying to open a new window or tab from the file menu doesn't always work! I have to click it some number of times, then it MAY work or may not.

Unfortunately, starting the gnome-terminal command from another terminal doesn't give any error output. I noticed the same behaviour on another system, i386, all installed from packages, the latest 9.2-RELEASE.

Has anybody noticed anything like that?

Re: gnome-terminal unstable behaviour

Yes, I've noticed this behavior also. This cropped up in an earlier version around 8.2/9.0 maybe? I had posted something similar here. I don't recall anyone being able to offer a solution. I think the behavior finally corrected itself with the next release. I don't know what was wrong or how to fix it in the mean time. The error definitely seems to have resurfaced with the 9.2 release though. I'm using the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit like you, but I am having the same issue.

Generally, I find that the first gnome-terminal window I open works normally. Only attempts to open additional terminal windows result in the windows briefly appearing on screen and then simply vanishing without explanation. And as you stated, trying to open it via another terminal program such as xterm does not result in an error message of any sort. Additional windows open (and stay open) only after a random number of clicks per additional terminal window.

I know that doesn't help solve your problem, but at least I can confirm the problem exists.

Back