Solved [SOLVED] GDM Does Not Recognize LXDE

I recently re-installed FreeBSD wanting to use LXDE. On my previous installation I had installed GNOME from binary packages, which worked fine. Later I installed LXDE from binary packages. That worked fine too. In this installation I have attempted to install from ports. I did NOT install x11/gnome2. I installed x11/xorg, x11/gdm and x11/lxde-meta. When I get to the GDM login screen I try to click on my name. GDM tries to pull up the password input field but resets, leaving me with the option to select a user again. I'm not sure if the problem is in GDM, OpenBox or LXDE.

Another note: I can only use startlxde as root, so I cannot use my desktop environment under my username. The output of trying to invoke startlxde as a regular user is:

Code:
$ startlxde
cp: /usr/local/share/lxde/pcmanfm/pcmanfm.conf: No such file or directory
No protocol specified

/etc/rc.conf:
Code:
gdm_enable="YES"

Also, I am explicitly calling $ sudo gdm.

Neither of those two files that you mentioned exist in my home directory.

I solved the first error by doing this:

Code:
$ cp /usr/local/etc/xdg/pcmanfm/default/pcmanfm.conf /usr/local/share/lxde/pcmanfm

But I'm still getting "No protocol specified" when trying to run startlxde from tty0.

TommyC7 said:
Do you use a .xinitrc or .xsession because I believe GDM uses .xsession and everything else uses .xinitrc.

There's a simple solution for this conundrum: [cmd=]ln -s ~/.xinitrc ~/.xsession[/cmd] (or the other way around depending on which file you already have).

@SirDice: Perhaps I didn't understand your post correctly but:

AntumDeluge said:
Neither of those two files that you mentioned exist in my home directory.

But I fixed the issue by installing GNOME from packages. Now GDM recognizes LXDE (and GNOME). Not sure what it changed, but I'm glad it's working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back