Solved [SOLVED] fsck using “no” even with -y option

Had my host OS go down in a strange way, and I have FreeBSD in a VM. System went down uncleanly, and corrupted several partitions. I managed to use fsck to clean a number of those partitions, but one in particular refuses to be cleaned.

Specifically, /var/www cannot be corrected because running fsck -y /var/www produces a “no” after every option. Such as,
Code:
CLEAR? no
SALVAGE? no
RECONNECT? no
and so on.

Not sure how to “force” fsck to work beyond using the -y option.

Re: fsck using “no” even with -y option

Found a sufficient workaround - single user mode.

But holy hell does FreeBSD ever boot slowly in a Hyper-V VM! I mean, at least five minutes from start to login prompt, at minimum. Getting past the initial boot loader takes at least three of those minutes!

One way to solve this problem is to include the following lines in /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
background_fsck="NO"
fsck_y_enable="YES"
And reboot. Remove (or comment out) the "fsck_y_enable" line once the file system reports clean. Refer to rc.conf(5) for more info.

wblock@ said:
fsck(8) can only correct partitions that are not mounted. Booting into single user mode is the easiest way to do that.
I understand that, but this approach will still work. Whether or not it is "easier" than booting into single user mode could be argued based on circumstances. The /etc/rc.conf approach was recommended recently on the freebsd-stable@freebsd.com mailing list for someone who could not easily get to single user mode to clear up a panic caused by mangled UFS directories since he was running on a Google compute engine VM. Anyway, just wanted to put the approach in context. Not looking to start an argument. Plus it's good to have alternatives. :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to argue with you, just trying to explain why it could not repair the problem initially.

In theory as well if you use SU+J journalling it doesn't even need to do an fsck as it will just ditch the soft update buffer and recover from the journal.

Back