Itproman

I recently installed FreeBSD 9.2x64 on:

*HP XW4400 -Intel Core2 Duo 1.86 Ghz
*3,or 4 MB Ram
*2x 69.3 GB SATA Drives
*DVD and DVDRW Drives
*Asus EAX550/TD/256M ATI Radeon video card

Monitor: KDS 17i 17" SVGA CRT

I updated FreeBSD,installed the ports tree and updated both by the usual commands. :)
I installed Xorg and it works fine, probably using the VESA driver. I downloaded the desktop-installer script from http://www.acadix.biz and ran it to install XFCE4.

It worked really well and my commendations go out to its author! It saved me a lot of time. :)

I still have to edit the xorg file, as per the Gnome article on https://cooltrainer.org/2012/01/02/a-freebsd-9-desktop-how-to/ to, hopefully get the ATI Radeon card working.

Problem #1:

It works great, but, sometimes, it won't let me log in even with the correct UID and password, so I have to CTRL-ALT-F1 and log into the text-based system, then type startx, then it lets me in fine. Once in a while, though, it lets me in straight in from the login screen, so I'm a bit baffled.

I installed sound and downloaded xfce-mixer and tested it at Youtube -using Firefox.It works good, although on some videos, it complains about wanting a Flash Player upgrade.

Problem #2:
I installed Chromium and Firefox. Chromium can't finish loading a website. Is this because it needs the Linux Emulation layer? Firefox is fine.

Problem #3:
I added linux_load="YES" to loader.conf, but,when I tried to download linux_base-f10, I got an error message about it not being available.

BTW: Is IPFW installed by default?

If not,what is the correct file name,so I can download it(I tried IPFW,but,received a "not found" error.).

(I'll add that in when I'm on that PC next)

CyberBSD

Hi,

I am not sure about the problem #1 and #2 but how did you try to download/install linux_base-f10 ? Was it done using pkg_add or using the ports collection ? In first case please show us the full error message and the command used by you. If you tried the ports collection then I recommend you to update the ports collection using portsnap and make one more attempt to install linux_base-f10 again.

OP
Itproman

Itproman

CyberBSD said:
Hi,

I am not sure about the problem #1 and #2 but how did you try to download/install linux_base-f10 ? Was it done using pkg_add or using the ports collection ? In first case please show us the full error message and the command used by you. If you tried the ports collection then I recommend you to update the ports collection using portsnap and make one more attempt to install linux_base-f10 again.
Thank you.

You got it dead on.

I was trying to use pkg_add -r to download and install linux_base-f10,but my ports collection was out of date,but after I did a portsnap fetch update and tried again,it was successful,so that's one problem down.

Problem #3 solved.

trh411

Aspiring Daemon

Problem #2:

You might want to try to re-install www/chromium. A re-install once cleared up an otherwise inexplicable problem for me ... every page loaded was blank.

And no, chromium does not require linux emulation to run.

OP
Itproman

Itproman

I will try that.

I am trying to delete Chromium,using the pkg_delete command,but,I get the error message
Code:
"no such package 'chromium' installed"

OP
Itproman

Itproman

I got it!Thanks!

I did a pkg_info and hit CTRL-C at the end of the Cs and noticed( I looked up the packages section in the online FreeBSD Handbook) and noticed the
Code:
"<"
,meaning the installed program was older than the local ports version.

I do not know if that was the cause of the Chromium problem,but,after removing and reinstalling it,it now works perfectly!

Go figure!

Problem #2 solved.