Solved [Solved] FreeBSD 10 cause my HDD fail?!

Does anyone have met the same or similar problem?
I've tried FreeBSD 10 in VirtualBox in my laptop, everything is fine, and then, it was about 3 weeks ago, I decided to install FreeBSD 10 with Windows 8 on the same hard drive as dual boot. Reboot after installation finished, then the laptop lost responds, it halted at "F2 to load bios, F10 to load boot menu"!
I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart, insert the FreeBSD installation CD again, it halted again, tried the Windows 8 installation DVD, it halted at the same screen message, tried the Linux installation CD, the same...
I've went to ask the after sale service of the laptop manufacture for diagnoses, then they told me the HDD was out of order, I just felt strange, so they shown me the result. Remove the problem HDD and connect another one, the laptop responds, and can go into the BIOS. Restore the problem HDD the laptop lost responds, then I bought a new HDD and bring the problem HDD back home, what I guess was maybe the temperature cause the problem.
x( x( x(
Last night, again, I put it into practice of my plan: install FreeBSD 10 into my laptop, guess what, the same problem occurred!!

I can't sleep the whole night, just feel I was stupid! After that, get up this morning, I remembered, there was an option of GPT while at the partitioning during the installation, I just left it as the default...
While, my laptop was bought in 2010, I can sure my laptop is based on MBR boot not the GPT, if, if it's the reason, the source of the problem?

Can someone tell me what is really happened at the behind, if my 2 hard drives really run out of order? if not how to get them come back?

Re: FreeBSD 10 cause my HDD fail?!

Clear the disks completely using the shell function of the FreeBSD Live CD or the memory stick image like this:

gpart destroy -F ada0

Replace ada0 with for example ada1 if the disk happens to be called ada1.

That will remove all partition information from the disk, be it MBR or GPT.

kpa said:
Clear the disks completely using the shell function of the FreeBSD Live CD or the memory stick image like this:

gpart destroy -F ada0

Replace ada0 with for example ada1 if the disk happens to be called ada1.

That will remove all partition information from the disk, be it MBR or GPT.

Thanks for reply.

But my problem is it halted before loading BIOS, I've inserted all of my LiveCDs, what ever it is Linux or BSD or Windows, it just not responding. I remembered the BIOS boot sequence is 1 CD, 2 HDD, ... but, before loading any devices, it stops responding!!

You left out the important detail of what brand and model of computer this is. Many Thinkpads, for example, have a problem with BIOS stupidity that misidentifies a PMBR. Upgrading the BIOS can fix that for some models.

But no, your hard disk is probably fine. Attach it to another system and clear the partition table. Or use a different drive to boot the computer. After boot, connect the problem drives with an external USB adapter so they can be cleared.

These are guesses. Please give the brand and model of computer for better information.

Me too, I hard to believe that guy whom told me that my HDD was run out, but I was in my end term testing of this semester, while I have part time job that need the laptop, so I was just didn't think it more...

My brand model is LG xnote-r590, as I know the LG PC was started as LG-IBM in the ancient years.
I think I need to buy a 2.5 inches external hard drive case with usb connection, it's cheap enough, perhaps I can clear the partition tables!
I will give a report when it been done.

Anyway, thanks for the tip,

An extra 14$, got a USB 3.0 external case, connecting to another PC, after some clicks, my 2 HDDs are back.

Back