Solved [Solved] FreeBSD 10 32-bit on a 64-bit KVM

Hello, I'm trying to install 32-bit FreeBSD 10.0 on a KVM-based VM on a 64-bit Linux host. The installation step gets to the point of asking for root password, and fails after setting up the password. The error message is:

Code:
passwd: pam_chauthtok(): error in service module.
This error can be seen on this youtube video, where I recorded the installation procedure. It happens every time I do a clean install. I've checked the hashes of the downloaded installation ISOs and they're matching the sums provided by freebsd.org website.

It is possible to boot such system manually by specifying the boot partition in /boot/loader.conf, but it's still not usable -- there are many semi-random errors related to crypto libraries, i.e. the man command doesn't work, the installation of pkg program fails at the hash verification stage, also the adduser command fails with a cryptic error message related to existence of the /etc/pwd.db.tmp file (which isn't there).

I've also installed 64-bit version of FreeBSD 10.0 -- it installs and works without any problems. On the host machine I also have different, Linux VMs (also 32bit), and they're working OK. Also I'm using this machine as my primary work machine, so I would rule out any hardware problems.

Could anyone send me a hint what could be changed to successfully install 32-bit version of FreeBSD on a 64-bit KVM host?

Edit: Added "solved".

Re: FreeBSD 10 32bit on a 64-bit KVM

The issue is most likely with your KVM software. There shouldn't be a need to change anything on the FreeBSD side and it should work.

Re: FreeBSD 10 32bit on a 64-bit KVM

@kpa - thank you, after disabling the unmapped_buf_allowed option via loader.conf, everything started to work flawlessly!

Last edited by a moderator:
reijoslav said:
Hello, I'm trying to install 32-bit FreeBSD 10.0 on a KVM-based VM on a 64-bit Linux host.
I avoid virtualization whenever possible but as somebody who knows little bit about KVM, VBox and Jails the above seems a terrible idea unless done for education purposes.

Back