Solved [SOLVED] FreeBSD-10.0 iwn Intel Centrino 6230

I have a Clevo laptop which has an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 wireless card. (Should that get a tag? If so, what kind?)
Anyway, on a fresh install of FreeBSD-10.0, the card won't work with wpa2 encryption.

If I manually run the commands, the card creates the wlan0 device, associates with the access point, and then acquires a seemingly correct address from the router. However, when I then try to use said address, with, for example, a simple ping, I get the error no route to host.

I'm almost certain that my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is correct--the same configuration works on another machine with an Atheros card. Also, when I run the command wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, it shows that it is association. Running ifconfig afterwards shows that the card is associated with the proper network. Running dhclient wlan0 shows it querying 192.168.1.1, the correct router, and receiving an address. Then running netstat -rn shows said router as default gateway. Running tcpdump -i wlan0 shows the card seeing some traffic from the router and the rest of the network, as an example, my wife's Mac looking for the printer.

The card works. Using it with a Fedora install, there's no problem getting it working with wpa_supplicant. (Mods, that doesn't get a tag because it's on a Linux system.) In FreeBSD-10.0, it will work on an unencrypted network, I've tested it at the library.

So, this may merit a PR, but googling hasn't found anyone else with the same problem, and at this point, I"m not yet sure if it is a real PR, or one of those Just Me(TM) issues.

Thanks for any insight.

Re: FreeBSD-10.0 iwn Intel Centrino 6230

Some googling around led me to a thread (which I've now lost) indicating that the issues with either iwn(4) or wpa_supplicant(8) will be fixed as time goes on, so as this is an unimportant machine, I upgraded to 11.0-CURRENT. In CURRENT, while it can reach outside addresses. e.g., 4.2.2.2 it still can't ping the local router, 192.168.1.1. However, it does look like, from a few threads I found, that maintainers are working on some problems with the iwn(4) driver, so my hope is that it will get fixed in the future.

Re: FreeBSD-10.0 iwn Intel Centrino 6230

Ok, after some more fiddling around back and forth, I wound up doing a complete reinstall. This is a test machine so that's not a major issue. After doing said reinstall, (of FreeBSD-10.0), everything worked as it should--that is, even when using wpa2 encryption, the wireless card worked the way it should. So, I'm marking this SOLVED.

(Although for others with the problem, this thread won't be of that much help, as my solution was to just reinstall.)

Back