Solved [Solved] Font issue: boxes instead of letters after upgrade

I'm running X.Org 1.7.7 on 9.2-RELEASE-p3 on amd64. I upgraded some ports today and have managed to break my fonts in X.Org. I'm usually cautious about installing newer versions of ports, but was in a rush to update ones that had security issues as I'm travelling on an early flight (not so very far away now) for work with my laptop and evidently wasn't paying enough attention. Live, be an idiot and hopefully learn for next time :\

The symptom is that instead of where the captions should be on my desktop I have rectangles. Opening up xterm, the console font is properly rendered, whilst the title bar is just rectangles. xclock opens and renders fine, so it's definitely a fonts issue. I scanned /usr/ports/UPDATING (after the disaster) but can't see anything relevant. SLiM is my login manager. I use XFCE as my desktop (and window) manager, though I have the same symptoms running OpenBox, which tells me it's something to do with X.Org rather than my window manager. There are no errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file has the correct paths for fonts. All was working fine beforehand. I expect that I'm being an idiot.

I have tried:
  • Logging in as root (to see whether the issue was with my user configuration)
  • Recompiling all my installed fonts
  • Recompiling X.Org
  • Recompiling Pango (having found a reference to that being an issue on a Slackware forum)
  • Recompiling GTK2 and GTK3
  • Running pkg_libchk (from sysutils/bsdadminscripts); no missing libraries
  • Rebooting
  • Selecting a different font from the XFCE settings panel
  • Updating all possibly related installed ports, just in case I had missed something
  • Cursing and waving my arms about.

Any help on where to go next would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Font issue: boxes instead of letters after port upgrade

Does portmaster --check-depends report any problems?

Thanks for the quick reply @wblock@. That should have been on my original list too; dependencies are reported as fine. I use ports-mgmt/portmaster to manage port installation and upgrades. As a bit of extra information, I also use TeXlive 2013 via ports-mgmt/portshaker, so my ports tree is slightly modified; I have /usr/ports/print/texlive-* entries that aren't standard on the ports tree. I don't believe there is anything about it that should mess with X.Org (and I had it installed when X.Org was still working fine) but worth mentioning in case someone does know of an issue.

I'm about to leave for my flight but will pick up any replies when I land and find an Internet connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks to you both for spotting that. There's no support for my wireless networking card under FreeBSD at the moment and a wired connection has been more difficult to locate than I would have expected. I'll try upgrading Pango and let you know how I get on. My fallback option is to restore my last working snapshot until I have time to investigate properly.

[SOLVED] Font issue: boxes instead of letters after port upg

I finally managed to find an ethernet port I could plug into and @wblock@ and @trh411 were right on the money. Upgrading x11-toolkits/pango resolved my issue. Thanks again to you both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back