Solved [Solved] fbpanel panel background

I'm trying to create a simple and nice looking x11-wm/openbox environment. From my point of view, idea of x11-wm/openbox menu is not very good, so I think about thin upper panel with some common data and freedesktop compatible menu. The bottom launcher is x11-wm/plank. I made a port search and found x11/fbpanel It supports all I need. With transparency setting I can set the color of main panel to match my background. The problem is menu plugin gray background which ruining everything.

From the other side, x11/tint has color settings, but it's not supporting menus at all.

So, I have several paths to go:
1. Stick with x11/fbpanel and find how to tweak it colors.
2. Find something for x11/tint to implement freedesktop compatible menu and shutdown menu.
3. Find something else.

Any suggestions?

Re: fbpanel panel background

Neither Tint2 or fbpanel has been updated lately. I think x11/fbpanel has been abandoned for x11/lxpanel. Debian Wheezy/Jessie utilzes tint-svn code which can be combined with x11/xdotool to provide panel bar menu icon. The version of x11/tint in FreeBSD ports is 0.11.

Here is a Arch Wiki on how this is set this up.

To do this in FreeBSD you will either have to pull the Tint2 svn source code and compile it yourself or convince the port mantainer for Tint2 that the port can be safely updated to the svn code.

I use Tint2 and place audio/gvolwheel in the Tint2 systray. On my Debian laptop (wireless chip needs linux), I also put wicd in the systray.

Another option would be to use x11/lxpanel. It is a complete rewrite of fbpanel and is modular. You do not have to install the full LXDE desktop. I have also read that XFCE panel can be used. I don't have an experience using transparency in any of the panels.

Well, this article describes how to bind x11-wm/openbox menu to hotkey and I don't want to use it.

Binding a hot hey to the menu is the first step. Then you make a /usr/local/applications/*desktop entry with the following
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Tint2 Openbox Menu
Comment=Tint2 Openbox Menu Hack
X-GNOME-FullName=Openbox Menu
Exec=xdotool key "your hot key here"
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=mousepad
Categories=Menu;
MimeType=
StartupNotify=true

Applications Menu in OpenBox3

If running the tint2-svn from AUR, you have the ability to create launchers. Unfortunately, tint2 does not support nested menus yet, so there is no native function to enable an applications menu. With a little ingenuity, one can trick tint2 and get an applications menu anyway! This example will create such a launcher for Openbox3.

First, you have to install openbox, tint2-svn and xdotool. Next you want to create a keybinding for opening the Openbox menu. For Openbox, this would require the following entry between the <keyboard> and </keyboard> tags in ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml:

<keybind key="C-A-space">
<action name="ShowMenu"><menu>root-menu</menu></action>
</keybind>

This will set Ctrl+Alt+Space to open the root-menu (this is the menu that opens when you right-click the desktop). You can change root-menu to any menu-id that you have defined in ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml. Next we need to make that keybinding into a .desktop file with xdotool. First test that your keybind works with:

$ xdotool key ctrl+alt+space

If the menu you chose pops up under your mouse cursor, you have done it right! Now create a tint2.desktop file inside /usr/share/applications/ directory. Be sure to add the line Exec=xdotool key ctrl+alt+space where Ctrl+Alt+Space are your chosen key combinations. Open your new tint2.desktop file from your file manager and, once again, you should see the menu appear under your cursor. Now just add this to tint2 as a launcher, and you have your Openbox Applications Menu as a launcher for tint2!

See Openbox Menus for further help on creating your own menu to use here, and menumaker to generate a nice full menu.xml for most (possibly all) of your installed programs.

Further down the Arch Wiki also describes howto use x11-wm/xcompmgr to enable tint2 transparency.

Back