Solved [Solved] Dovecot Maildir directories

I just finishing transferring my MTA from one old box to another old but newer box, but mail clients are reporting that directories are missing, so can't delete messages or move sent messages to 'Sent.'

I can't remember what I did when first deploying the mail server to (a) create the standard Sent, Trash, Drafts, etc., directories for existing users and (b) automate the creation of said directories for all new users.

Dovecot configuration is stock, except for:

dovecot.conf
Code:
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes

And Postfix's main.cf:
Code:
home_mailbox = Maildir/

ETA: Sorry, this should be posted to Dovecot or Postfix mailing lists, but this is such a knowledgeable community, I created this topic without thinking.

Re: Dovecot Maildir directories

My first impression would be a permission problem. Normally everything below the ~/Maildir directory get automatically setup, at least on my system. As to that directory itself; it's just a directory with a specific ownership and permission settings.

Re: Dovecot Maildir directories

I thought so too, but permissions were all correct. The problem only affected existing users whose MailDir's hadn't been restored yet; I anticipated that mail clients would automatically recreate the default directories and I could restore data when I had the time. New users had the default directories created upon first login, but existing users were receiving errors whenever sending and deleting mail. I suppose their mail clients expected directories to be there, and reacted accordingly when discovering they weren't.

Back