Solved [Solved]Creating backup packages?

cd /usr/ports/x11/mate
make install clean

Everything built correctly and installed.

Now, I want to remove MATE and install the pkg of MATE from pkg.FreeBSD.org.

But, before I do, I want to make a backup package. So, if I want to later, I can uninstall the package and just put back the port I built myself.

If I just run pkg create mate or pkg create mate-1.6.0 it spits out a 1.1k package.

How can I tell pkg create to bundle up everything I would need, if I was gonna use this package on a new system, to install a complete install of MATE?

I considered running pkg create mate*
But, that just grabs all the binaries that start with mate?

How can I build a proper package that will conduct a full install of MATE if I took it to a separate workstation and used it?

Re: Creating backup packages?

make package will create one under /usr/ports/packages that you can install later with pkg add.

Keep in mind that x11/mate is a "meta-port". It doesn't contain anything of itself, it depends on other ports. If you want to make a backup you should create packages for those too.

Try portmaster -g (not tested) to obtain those packages, as indicated by @SirDice.

Last edited by a moderator:

What about pkg create -a? Might be a bit overkill creating a package for everything on the system but if you just installed it from the x11/mate meta port package it would pull back in all the dependencies that you are using.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. SO far all I've managed to produce is the 1.1k MATE meta port package.. I need a package that includes everything, but only everything for MATE.

So, hypothetically, lets say I have a workstation with no interwebs®. And I want to install MATE on it using packages, not ports. How could I produce a package, which has all of MATE.

I think I'm gonna have to make a bunch of small packages, tar them up, move, untar, then install them all. Can't find a way of just creating 1 port including the whole MATE.

Ah. I understand now. I don't think you can have one massive tarball that just gets read in an installed as one single package. The meta-package just points to everything it needs. How about this?
pkg create -a
pkg repo .

Tar up that folder and untar it on on an FTP/HTTP server and serve to hosts with no internet access. Or just untar it on a single host and do pkg add mate in that directory. It will install all the other packages in that directory that are dependencies of the x11/mate meta-package.

Back