Solved [Solved] Crash when installing FreeBSD 10-BETA4 using ZFS

Re: Crash when installing FreeBSD 10-BETA4 using ZFS

Based on your post, I just built a VirtualBox VM using FreeBSD-10.0-BETA4 and had no problem. It booted fine after the installation and I have tried several other reboots as well. I think you need to give us more info on your system and the ZFS options you selected during the installation. I did a single disk, GPT (and MBR) install.

I plan to do an install of FreeBSD-10.0-BETA4 on a physical box, but will not get to it until tomorrow.

I have seen nothing on the mailing lists regarding ZFS on root installation issues with 10.0-BETA4, but will keep an eye out today.

trh411 said:
Based on your post, I just built a VirtualBox VM using FreeBSD-10.0-BETA4 and had no problem. It booted fine after the installation and I have tried several other reboots as well. I think you need to give us more info on your system and the ZFS options you selected during the installation. I did a single disk, GPT (and MBR) install.

I plan to do an install of FreeBSD-10.0-BETA4 on a physical box, but will not get to it until tomorrow.

I have seen nothing on the mailing lists regarding ZFS on root installation issues with 10.0-BETA4, but will keep an eye out today.

I tried with both a single disk and a mirror. All the defaults. I tried both a single disk and a mirror on BETA3 and it worked without a hitch.

What type of install are you attempting? i386? amd64? Other?

For the OP's sake I hope so, but I think that is another issue. OP stated he took all the install defaults. That would make his install non-encrypted. The patch addresses an encryption issue during the install of ZFS on root.

trh411 said:
What type of install are you attempting? i386? amd64? Other?
amd64.

trh411 said:
For the OP's sake I hope so, but I think that is another issue. OP stated he took all the install defaults. That would make his install non-encrypted. The patch addresses an encryption issue during the install of ZFS on root.

No encryption. I did identical installs on identical hardware trying both a mirror and a single disk slice. In all cases it worked on BETA3 and crashed on BETA4.

Did you checksum verify your 10.0-BETA4 install media? The only thing I can think of is maybe your 10.0-BETA-4 ISO or IMG is corrupted?

BTW, does the crash occur on the first reboot after installation?

trh411 said:
Did you checksum verify your 10.0-BETA4 install media? Only thing I can think of is maybe your 10.0-BETA-4 iso or img is corrupted?

BTW, does the crash occur on the first reboot after installation?

I checked the memstick image and the checksum matches. It might have been a bad flash onto the USB, did anyone else try installing BETA4 using the ZFS installer? It happens during installation, everything extracts but I am never asked for my root password.

I tested this on RC1 and am my installation is still crashing at the same point. Has anyone here successfully installed FreeBSD10 Beta4 / RC1 amd64 using the ZFS Install menu? I want to see if this bug is specific to my hardware, or effects everyone.

EDIT
I tested the RC1 ISO with VirtualBox and the install worked with the ZFS menu.

I'm gonna going to try and see if the ISO works on bare metal.

Solved! I disabled the setting "No-Execute Memory Protect" in my BIOS and ZFS now installs as expected. Weird though that it works with the setting enabled in BETA3 but not in BETA4. I'm not complaining though :)

It is still a mystery why the BIOS option needs to be turned off. Normally any memory that is marked as data should be non-executable by default to protect from stack overflow exploits. Either there is a real problem somewhere in the installer or the BIOS option is badly broken in this particular machine.

Back