Solved [Solved] CPU Temperature correct?

Hey there,

i know this has been posted a lot of times as i read through the forum here. But i am not quite sure if coretemp(4) gives me correct results.

Here my hardware config:
Code:
CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D510   @ 1.66GHz (1676.70-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x106ca  Family = 6  Model = 1c  Stepping = 10
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x40e31d<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,MOVBE>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant

Code:
%uname -a
FreeBSD freebsd. 8.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Mon Dec 20 17:12:55 CET 2010     user@freebsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNEL  amd64

The temperature given by the coretemp module is quite low, which is imagineable as the CPUs are passively cooled.

Code:
%cat CPUTemp.sh
#!/bin/sh

sysctl dev.cpu | grep temper

%./CPUTemp.sh
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 14.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 14.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 11.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 11.0C

Though i am not sure if the values are correct, does anyone have any hints for me if this may be correct? When using the CPUs at 100%, the temperature rises of course and falls back to the values shown above again when letting them in idle state.

The maximum temperature observed while running two programs which use 100% of one CPU for like 10 minutes was only
Code:
%./CPUTemp.sh
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 21.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 21.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 18.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 18.0C

Best regards, phil10

Unless this system is sitting in a fridge, these temperatures look un[rs]easonably low. I'd expect something above room temperature to start with, and up to 50-70 degrees when used at 100% for a prolonged time (like a buildworld). I don't have passive cooling, but the figures should still be around that number, I'd guess.

It seems mbmon is just working fine, i checked the temperatures in the BIOS with the ones from mbmon and they are the same.

mbmon output:
Code:
%mbmon

Temp.= 40.0, 21.0, 21.0; Rot.=    0,    0,    0
Vcore = 1.17, 1.06; Volt. = 1.86, 5.08, 12.89, -14.92, -7.71

It reports three temperatures, the first being the 'Remote Temp' in the BIOS which i don't know what it means. The other two Temperatures are the ones from the CPUs.

I have the same processor (and possibly the same board), and I had incorrect temps reported in the BIOS (they had deg. C and deg. F confused). Updating to the latest BIOS fixed it, along with other issues I had with the board.

What BIOS version did you update to? I recently bought the board and had troubles booting from USB flash drives.

Let's see, I have the D510MO, and I'm currently running BIOS version 0501. There's a later version out, 0506, that I'll be upgrading to soon.

Originally it came with 0175, IIRC. Initially I booted to DOS on a USB flash drive to update it, because I never saw the initial screen long enough to know there was another way of updating it (apparently you can update w/o booting to DOS if you press F7). After booting to DOS, I upgraded the BIOS and then CPU temps were reported correctly in the BIOS, and RAM timings were now set correctly. Then I installed FBSD from my thumb drive via the memstick image.

So, I never had problems booting to USB, even on the old BIOS. Are you sure you can boot to the same drive on another machine that can boot to USB?

I'm on a water cooled system here are mine:
Code:
UNIXgod@hal9000) % sysctl dev.cpu | grep temperature

hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 33.0C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 40.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 34.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 37.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 35.0C

Back