Solved [SOLVED] Can't Upgrade RAM

I installed FreeBSD 10.0 with 4 GB of RAM on my system & created a 4 GB swap space. Now I want to add another 4 GB but whenever I put it in the machine boot fails with a message something like this:

Code:
actual memory 81xx
available memory 78xx

It just stays frozen until I restart. I have to remove the extra 4 gigs to be able to boot. Is this because the swap space is too small?

Code:
$ uname -nmr
FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE amd64

I can get the exact message if it is needed.

Re: Can't Upgrade RAM

FreeBSD can be run without any swap space. Sounds like some is bad with extra 4BG RAM. Try switching the 4G that's in there now with the other 4GB and see what happens.

The extra 4 gigs GB ran fine on another machine (Windows) but I will try your suggestion when I have time.

The new RAM needs to be of the same type and speed as the old RAM. In theory it's possible to have different speeds but this never works reliably.

The new RAM is identical to what's already installed. Same brand, size, speed, etc. I haven't had time yet to do more testing. I am working on a friend's computer.

Well, it's possible there's something broken on the mainboard. Swap the existing 4 GB with the new 4 GB and see if that works. Then try to add all 8 GB again. If adding the extra 4 GB hangs the machine it's most likely a hardware issue.

Okay, I have replaced the old 4 gigs GB with the new sticks. I tried them in all slots (four in total). The machine starts up fine. Now I will try putting in the total 8 gigs GB.

I decided to try with 6 gigs GB (three sticks). Machine booted up with no problem. so I put in 8 gigs GB again, same issue.

index.php

(NOTE: The link to that image will probably be invalid in a couple weeks: http://imagebin.org/317081. Also, Firefox is reporting ImageBin as an attack site on my system. Not sure why. I've been using it for a long time without trouble. Be careful anyway.)

This sure sounds like a problem with the motherboard, like @SirDice had suggested earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem solved:

I switched out the processor that I was using, a 3.0 GHz Pentium D, with the original Core 2 Duo that came with the machine (which I was using in a different computer). Now FreeBSD boots up fine.

Back