Solved [Solved]Bind: Problem sending logs to remote log server

Hi,
I´m on a clean FreeBSD 9.3 system and try to send the log entries of the default bind 9 to another FreeBSD log server. Bind logging to local file system works, sending the system logs to the remote log server also works.
I´ve tried to follow Bind installing wiki on http://www.freebsdwiki.net but without success. When I enter syslogd_flags=-ss -l /var/named/var/log as suggested in the wiki and restart the syslogd() I got two times the error message /etc/rc.conf: -l: not found. Logging works as before, bind to file and system to file and log server. When I add quotas to the rc.conf statement the error messages are gone but also the logging to the remote server. And the bind log entries are still going to the defined /var/named/var/log/named.log file.
What´s going wrong?

Best regards,

Mike

Re: Bind: Problem sending logs to remote log server

freemicom said:
When I enter syslogd_flags=-ss -l /var/named/var/log as suggested in the wiki and restart the syslogd() I got two times the error message /etc/rc.conf: -l: not found.
You need to put quotes around it.
Code:
syslogd_flags="-ss -l /var/named/var/log"

Hi,
thanks for your reply. And sorry for my bad english - what I meant with "quotas" is "quotes". So what happens when I put
Code:
into /etc/rc.conf is that the FreeBSD box no longer sends its log entries to the log server.

freemicom said:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. And sorry for my bad English - what I meant with "quotas" is "quotes". So what happens when I put
Code:
into /etc/rc.conf is that the FreeBSD box no longer sends its log entries to the log server.
That's because of the -ss option:

Code:
     -s      Operate in secure mode.  Do not log messages from remote
             machines.  If specified twice, no network socket will be opened
             at all, which also disables logging to remote machines.
See syslogd(8).

Back