Solved [Solved] Awesome WM crashes X on FreeBSD 9 RC3

Has anyone else had troubles running the latest Awesome port under FreeBSD 9 RC3? I did a fresh install (FreeBSD 9 RC3 amd64) and installed the awesome package (after xorg of course) to find that it cannot seem to start. It crashes X at startup everytime (once I get home from work I can post error logs). I tried make installing the port and running that, to no avail. I tried copying the config file to my local dir and pointing to that upon startx. No good. I installed the awesome2 and wmaker packages and found they both seem to work fine.

The strange part is that the awesome package works fine on my desktop FreeBSD 9 RC2 installation. Even using that working RC2 config file on my RC3 machine still does not help. It appears that the awesome package has indeed been updated since I installed it successfully on my RC2 machine but the changes look like they were confined to the Makefile only?

There does not appear to be a bug report raised on this issue and was just wondering if others are encountering this problem as well or it is something I've done wrong.

Here I had to add
Code:
Option "NoAccel" "true"
to the Device section of /etc/xorg.conf. It solved the problem for me, but with side effects. This might relate to a different problem but won't hurt to try.

Interesting, I've not used that before but notice others have used it for Intel graphic cards. I do indeed have a (somewhat troublesome) onboard Intel graphics chip in the cheap Acer laptop in question. I will certainly try this and report back.

Thank you very much!

Back