Solved [SOLVED] Avidemux can't open Matroska (.mkv) files

Avidemux should open Matroska containers with no problem. The error that I get is
Code:
Cannot find a demuxer for ___.mkv
I thought Avidemux depended on FFmpeg for demuxing many formats. Perhaps it requires libav. I'm trying to install that now to see if it fixes the problem.

----- EDIT -----

Nope, didn't fix anything. It can't open MP4 files either. I'm using the version of Avidemux from packages as I was having trouble building from ports. Think I'll give ports another try.

----- EDIT -----

Nope, building from ports did not fix the problem. :(

Re: Avidemux can't open Matroska (.mkv) files

Perhaps it's not so much the container format but the codecs that have been used? What codecs are used to encode the audio and video of the Matroska file?

AntumDeluge said:
Nope, building from ports did not fix the problem. :(

To demux matroska with MPEG-4/AVC video the the x264 library is used. Have you switched on
the x264 configuration option in the port (switched of by default)?

Correction:
avidemux doesn’t use multimedia/x264 to decode (demux) MPEG-4/AVC but only to encode, since x264 is only an encoder.
Poor investigation by my side. My apologies. In conclusion switching x264 on in the configuration options wouldn’t help.
For other possible solutions see my next post.

I'll double-check when I get the chance but I'm pretty sure that I enabled it.

AntumDeluge said:
I'll double-check when I get the chance but I'm pretty sure that I enabled it.

First I like to make aware of an incorrect statement in my previous post.

Back to the problem:

You have apparently active enabled the x264 option in avidemuxe’s port configuration. That suggests you have installed
multimedia/avidemux2. Try multimedia/avidemux26 (the latest version - x264 option default=enabled by the way).
Before installing delete the old one. If you have installed from the beginning avidemux26 also install multimedia/avidemux26-plugins.
That port contains inter alia the demuxer libraries lib/ADM_plugins6/demuxers/libADM_dm_matroska.so and
lib/ADM_plugins6/demuxers/libADM_dm_mp4.so.

Back