Solved [Solved] Apache PHP MySql Web Sever from Binaries on 10.0

I'd like to install Apache 2.4, MySql - version 5.6 - unless advised otherwise - and PHP 5.5 on FreeBSD 10.0 from binaries. On my first attempt, I could not get PHP to work. Appearently I didn't have the PHP module for Apache. I've removed these programs and I'm ready to try again.

I'm wondering if it is possible to achieve this goal, and I would appreciate a bit of instruction if it is.

Thank you in advance.

[update]

Ok, I found mod_php5* in the pkg database, so I ran the following command hoping to get everything I wanted installed:
Code:
sudo pkg install apache24 mysql56-{client,server} php55 php55-extensions mod_php55
The problem is, mod_php55 (and mod_php5) requires Apache 2.2. So I think the answer to my question is no. I checked the package versions on the Debian machine currently hosting the site and I decided since Apache 2.2 was working for me there, than there should be no problem using 2.2 on BSD (although Apache does recommend upgrading to 2.4). I got my server installed via binaries with the following command:
Code:
sudo pkg install apache22 mysql56-{client,server} php5 php5-extensions mod_php5

Re: [Solved] Apache PHP MySql Web Sever from Binaries on 10.

Hi @lakona,

You've done a great job, and helped me! I've installed FAMP from a pkg binary install too, I prefer MariaDB over MySQL: sudo pkg install apache24 php55 php55-extensions mariadb55-server mariadb55-client phpmyadmin. And I followed some blogs ,they were installing from ports. So I'm run into my trouble, can't run PHP! Some are saying that the problem is the lacking of libphp5.so under the /usr/local/libexec/apache24/ directory, so needs a manual compilation, and so on.

Now I add this one as your discovery: sudo pkg install mod_php5. And my FAMP box can interpreting PHP scripts now!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello @mountain,

Yes, Apache has a modular design. It was one of the world's first Web servers and as it grew people could simple add (or remove) modules as they needed (or didn't need). This design helped it become the most popular Web server.

Cheers!

I see you already figured things out and marked this as solved however I'd figure I would point out that Apache got updated to 2.4 as the default version about a month ago. You probably can upgrade and get the new version. All the hard dependencies on specific version's should start to fade away between the new pkg versions and upcoming removal of pkg_* tools.

@junovitch,

Thanks for the info. I've already updated most instances of Apache with the aid of pkg. For the FreeBSD systems I've running it makes more sense for me to use a package manager.

lakona said:
For the FreeBSD systems I've running it makes more sense for me to use a package manager.
If you have a couple of servers to maintain I highly recommend setting up your own repository with ports-mgmt/poudriere. That will allow you to keep control over the versions. It will also allow you to change default versions and set or unset options. Because all your servers use the same custom repository you can change those settings on one central location. You will have the control of using ports while using all the benefits of packages.

SirDice said:
If you have a couple of servers to maintain I highly recommend setting up your own repository with ports-mgmt/poudriere.

Thanks @SirDice! I heard of poudriere, but didn't realize you could create and manage your own repo with it. This will be handy once I get working with it.

Back