Solved [Solved] Any way to install a system without systemd?

I consider moving from Linux some time next month after using it for about 2 years and using nearly every distribution available. The main reasons are the incompatibility of packages even in the base system and systemd. So I come to the question: Is it possible to build a whole system (including a desktop environment) without using systemd? I have no intention of starting a flame war just to see if I can set my self independent of that since it seems to be adopted by every Linux distro.

Re: Any way to install a system without systemd?

I ask it because GNOME is dependent on systemd along with a handful of other applications. Is there an alternative or is GNOME in the ports collection modified not to use it?

Savoritias said:
I ask it because gnome is depended on systemd along with a handful of other applications. Is there an alternative or does gnome in the ports collection is modified not to use it?
GNOME 3.12 in the MarcusCom Ports overlay does not depend on systemd, the GNOME in the master ports tree is an old version (2.32). MATE is also an option, it's effectively a maintained, modern version of GNOME 2.

And GNOME will continue to use gnome-session on FreeBSD for the foreseeable future according to Lennart.

Back