Solved [solved] 8 Beta 4 - xorg, usb problems!!

I have this strange issue with BETA 4 that I can seem to figure out, I've search the mailing lists and can't see anyone reporting this so I'm wondering if it is a just me problem.

When I start x, using startx as I don't have gdm or anything installed, my entire system become unresponsive UNLESS I constantly move the mouse. If I'm moving the mouse everything works normal? The mouse is a usb mouse.

To be more detailed, once I startx and the desktop appears nothing refreshes until I move the mouse. So for example, claws-mail starts automatically, when I click on a folder nothing happens. Once I move the mouse it switches to that folder and refreshes. It does this with all apps. When I click on something from the menu (I'm using OpenBox) it does not appear until I start moving the mouse.

Here is the other rub: once X is running I can't switch consoles using ALT+CTRL+F without moving the mouse. Once I start moving the mouse it switches.

What I have tried

1) I rebuilt the nvidia driver. This seemed to have fix the problem for a few hours. The I ran Xine and the system froze and I had to hard reboot and the problem came back. So I rebuilt the driver again but did not fix the problem.

2) Tried to use nv or nouveau driver but they total lock my system or cause it to spontaneously reboot.

3) Rebuilt world and kernel two or three times using different configurations and nothing.

4) Tried different window managers. The problem persists with XFCE and fluxbox.

5) Rebuilt all ports...nothing.

So with all that, does anyone have a suggestion or have seen a similar problem? Because I'm to the point of just wiping the entire drive after kick the machine a few times!

Try rebuild the xserver port with HAL support disabled. You'll need to setup your input devices in xorg.conf after doing this (if you haven't already).

This is usually a sign of moused fighting with hald. I have this in rc.conf:

Code:
moused_nondefault_enable="NO"
moused_enable="NO"

with hald/dbus enabled.

I have this under FreeBSD 7.2 ,Gnome desktop.In my case it was due to xorg.conf misconfiguration - i've set mouse port not correct. After i set it (manually) to /dev/psm0 (not for usb mouse i think) - no problems anymore.

DutchDaemon said:
This is usually a sign of moused fighting with hald. I have this in rc.conf:

Code:
  moused_nondefault_enable="NO"
  moused_enable="NO"

with hald/dbus enabled.

I'll try that first. It's definitely usb related. I check i could find no mention of anything different usb wise from Beta 3 to Beta 4, which kind of sucks since I accidently went to beta 4. I cvsup'd 2 days before the official announcement and was surprise to see beta 4 upon reboot.

Strange to me that I never had a problem with this usb mouse since xorg started using hal.

Just an update.

I had already had the setting suggested by DutchDaemon in my rc.conf file.

I had to rebuild xorg-server without hal as suggested by aragon, now it works as before.

Back