Other Solution for non blocking renewal of resolved hostname tables in firewalls.

Sorry for the stupidity. I had to look up what you were talking about:

dig records and store in syslog or syslog-ng? Is that roughly what you want? Keep track how? Archived?

If you have to allow outbound access to a list of hostnames in a firewall rule you have a problem when they change their IPs in a way that you cannot predict anymore.
While allowing a not too large address range may be solution, it is often not.

So how to synchronize changing IPs with firewall rules?

You could try to resolve lists say every 10 minutes and feed the resolved IPs in firewall tables. You could try to increase the frequency and run into problems that processing takes too much time.

What works is using the TTL to resolve just in time those which need an update. Which firewall or which utility does provide such feature which is keeping track of resolving given hostnames and update the rules?

Well, now I understand the question 😉

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any tool doing that. I would expect to keep this outside the firewall (after all, it's a different concern, the firewall should operate on the routing/transport layer I guess, so it makes sense that names are just resolved once when loading a set of rules or a table ...). But then, there's an interface for dynamically updating tables, so one could imagine a separate daemon keeping that updated based on names, maybe something like that exists?

You could try to resolve lists say every 10 minutes and feed the resolved IPs in firewall tables. You could try to increase the frequency and run into problems that processing takes too much time.
I'm not even sure this would be a problem in practice? If you just use the system's resolver, this already takes TTL into account and will answer from its local name service cache if possible?

At least pf(4) does not work that way.
Host name resolution and interface to address translation are done at ruleset load-time. When the address of an interface (or host name) changes...the ruleset must be reloaded for the change to be reflected in the kernel.

You'd have to write a script that reloads the rules as often as your lowest TTL to ensure you don't have stale IP addresses.

Back