Solved Software reset (reboot) and Logout from GUI desktops puts my laptop to sleep

On my Dell Precision 4600 - GPU='Whistler [Radeon HD 6730M/6770M/7690M XT]

After upgrading from 13.2 to 13.3 and then 14.1, software reset command (reboot) from shell and Logout from GUI desktop puts my laptop to sleep, I think - "reboot", or "reboot -c" don't reboot computer. "CTL-ALT-Delete" reboots, as intended. "Logout" from GUI desktop freezes keyboard and mouse and it stays on. I have no clue what causses the issues.

For me, the 13.3 and 14.1 RELEASES (through upgrades or fresh installations) are a complete disaster. My laptop and its components worked perfectly with 13.2-RELEASE and its updates. 13.3 upgrade caused kernel panic due to issues with "amdgpu" support. Now, "amdgpu" seems to work ok in 14.1, but I strugle with the "mixer" errors - "/dev/mixer not found" which appears during boot, though I can't see any references to the errors in "dmesg" or "/var/log/messages". I do see in /dev dir. mixer, mixer0, mixer1 and mixer2. My default sound device unit=1.

I did read the Handbook's "Multimedia" chapter and all forum threads that I could find that related to hints, suggestions and howto fix the sound and/or mixer issues, but nothing worked for me. Had "beep" command working couple of times, but it doesn't work anymore - gone with the wind somewhere :)

This is the end result of my struggles with upgrades from perfectly working 13.2 to 13.3 and then 14.1 RELEASES with issues . Things look good enough, for now. But, looks are deceiving. I'm still looking for solutions to fix pulse audio, mixer and SSL IO errors in xrdp server

Attachments

• lumina-desktop.png
    lumina-desktop.png
    429.2 KB · Views: 25
Back