softupdates journaling odd behaviour?

Hello,

System is FreeBSD 9.0, GPT + UFS with softupdates journaling. I was confronted with an interesting situation. E.g. if I make some changes to text files or create some new files and then perform a hard, unclean reboot, these changes are gone. (reboot was made 1-3 min after these changes). New files are completely gone, files where I made changes became a zero size.

What could be the reason? Any comment are welcome.

I'm not an expert who can tell you the details, but using SU+J sometimes may potentially lead to more data loss when confronted with the hard reboot as you've experienced. There are some brief introductions about SU in "Tuning Disks" Chapter of handbook.

/usr/ports/packages/
Code:
 find . -type f
I have reproduced .tbz disappearing [1] "reliably" between normal reboots. (SUJ, v9), even with "sync" before shutdown. I do not know if it is related to the symlinks in that particular subtree or something else. So I am very interested in this thread, for the time being I have a workaround in place.
[1] All of them (usually) in one (y) or more (?) subdirectories.

Hi,

Probably I was wrong about time of reboot. This is a SU issue completely. Journaling does not matter. It's related to these kernel variables (default, values in sec):
Code:
kern.filedelay: 30 
kern.dirdelay: 29 
kern.metadelay: 28

My changes were not written from dirty buffer to disk. So this is "normal" behaviour.

Back