So, you think you know programming languages....

Hmm, they appear to have omitted BEDSOCS. Perhaps excusable as it was implemented on an HP2100, I'm not sure if there are any implementations on current hardware. There's a language user guide somewhere too.

I spent years writing ASM in terminal environments and developing my own libraries.
Being a competition shooter, I do take exception with that guy calling C pointers being as dangerous as pointing a gun at somebody.
That guy should stick to writing code and skip his faulty analogies.

In the end, the higher up the language food chain, the more the coder becomes a script-kiddie who uses OPC (other people's code) to accomplish his task.
IMO it is a safe bet that most young coders don't know how to set up an operating system call to open a file.
On the flip side, I don't know squat about .NET

I came to FBSD because I like the appeal of the command line environment, and the stability of a no-frills operating system.
I doubt I will ever write a single piece of code for FBSD... will just use it to do what I need to do.

I spent years writing ASM in terminal environments and developing my own libraries.
Being a competition shooter, I do take exception with that guy calling C pointers being as dangerous as pointing a gun at somebody.
That guy should stick to writing code and skip his faulty analogies.

In the end, the higher up the language food chain, the more the coder becomes a script-kiddie who uses OPC (other people's code) to accomplish his task.
IMO it is a safe bet that most young coders don't know how to set up an operating system call to open a file.
On the flip side, I don't know squat about .NET

I came to FBSD because I like the appeal of the command line environment, and the stability of a no-frills operating system.
I doubt I will ever write a single piece of code for FBSD... will just use it to do what I need to do.
Pointers are no more dangerous than anything else. You can get into a terrible mess with heap fragmentation and garbage collection in java, and don't even speak to me about c++ templates.

I've also written assembly in the past, its nice to see a chapter in the handbook giving an introduction to assembly in freebsd (chapter 11). It can still be useful when you want to do some fancy optimisations.

You need to have made one of these "pself" things yourself at least once. Making 128 in a loop, this could be the sign of a genius or an unhinged mind. Where is the difference?
Hmm, he missed out APL too. But brainfuck is in there, so all credit due.

Hmm, no occam either. That's not going to run on my transputer then...

Also along the lines of this thread is this nice rosetta code site that I just remembered... worth a look see.

I had to look up "chrestomathy"... something new every day!

Very interesting graphic.
I rode the Pascal/Delphi train from the time it first pulled out of the station, through today.

My interest in big spreadsheet manipulation got me started in VBA / Visual Basic.
I write highly structured code in VBA and it is highly integrated into Excel.

<insert language here>
<insert all the wonderful things it does compared to the others here>
<wait>
<insert all the things people find it doesn't do or are bad>
<remove language from consideration here>
<repeat ad infinitum>

Back